Shu Stream Theory and Applications
The Shu Stream Points are a subsection of the Five Shu Points within TCM Theory. They have the following general usages:
- Shu-stream Points
- Where the Qi of the Channel begins to pour
- Located at or near the joints of the extremities (i.e. ankles & wrists)
- On the Yin Channels Shu-stream points are identical to the Yuan-source points (important for tonifying and regulating their pertaining organs)
- Actions & Effects
- Heaviness a/or pain of the joints
- Combine with the Ying-spring Points to treat the Yin organs
- Yang Shu-stream Points useful for channel stagnation
- Ling Shu ch. 44 states that they are useful for diseases which come and go
What Points Are In This Category?
SI 3 Back Ravine
- Master Point of the GV, effects entire pathway.
- Pain in the scapula, arm a/or hand combine with local points.
- Stiff neck, cervical strain/sprain, pain of the back or neck.
- Occipital headaches, combine with local points.
- Night sweats, combine with HT 6.
- Clears heat and excess from the head, ears and eyes, eye redness, inflammation, visual dizziness, earache, tinnitus, sore throat.
- Calms the spirit, anxiety, manic depression.
SP 3 Supreme White
- SP Qi and Yang Deficiency, especially those with excess pathologies - abdominal a/or epigastric pain, digestive issues, heart pain.
- Muscle atrophy in the lower legs, heaviness in the body.
- Main treatment point of Lung Sho pattern (with LU 9) - in Japanese style Five Phase treatment protocol. Also the main point of Spleen Sho pattern (with PC 7).
KD 3 Great Ravine
- Tonify KD Qi, Yin or Yang Deficiencies from any etiology.
- Asthma from KD Deficiency - difficulty inhaling.
- Tonifies Yin of KD (chronic sore throat, empty heat), LV (dizziness, tinnitus, headache) a/or HT (anxiety, insomnia, excessive dreaming).
- Tonifies Yang of KD (impotence, premature ejaculation, seminal emission, weak low back/knees, frequent urination).
- Low back pain, usually of a chronic nature.
- Local point for heel a/or ankle pain.
ST 43 Sunken Valley
- Similar actions to ST 44 but used less often - will clear heat from the channel and organ.
- Classically noted for clearing facial pain and/or edema / swelling. May be used for general edema.
- Abdominal pain, bloating, borborygmus, frequent belching.
- Local point for pain and/or swelling of the dorsum of the foot.