Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Ankylosing Spondylitis
What Is Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Basics
Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) is a form of arthritis that primarly affects the spine. It will often involve the sacroiliac (SI) joint and other joints other than the spine may become involved. In advanced cases it may contribute to the formation of bone in the spine which may fuse the spine together restricting movement. Functionally an autoimmune disorder, Chinese Medicine diagnosis is critical as it may arise from a range of patterns. Kidney yin deficiency would be common, but other spleen disorders may also be involved.
What Patterns Are Related To Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of ankylosing spondylitis generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of ankylosing spondylitis:Kidney Yin Deficiency
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Ankylosing Spondylitis Is Discussed
- Electroacupuncture for Knee Osteoarthritis Found Effective - High Intensity Better Than Low
- Tai Chi as Therapy for Fibromyalgia, Rheumatic Disease
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Yunnan Baiyao Herbal Formula Found Helpful for Colitis / Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Popular Chinese Herbal Formula Found To Aid Chronic Liver Disease
- Do Men and Women Respond Differently To Acupuncture? And What Does It Mean?
- Effects of You Gui Wan and Zuo Gui Wan Herbal Formulas on Encephalomyelitis
- Need Focus and Impulse Control? - Practice Tai Chi
- Acupuncture effective for Temporomandibular Disorders
- Acupuncture Faster with Less Side Effects Than Prozac for Post-Stroke Depression (Study)
- Meta Analysis Finds Acupuncture Superior to Medicine for Optic Nerve Atrophy
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for ankylosing spondylitis that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with ankylosing spondylitis:
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about ankylosing spondylitis? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums