Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)
What Is Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)?
Arthritis (Bi Syndromes) - Basics
Arthritis is a rheumatic disease that causes stiffness and pain in the joints, and may be accompanied by inflammation, redness and swelling. The two most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis--which often occurs in older age and is characterized by pain in the fingers, knees and hips--and rheumatoid arthritis, which represents a problem with the body's defense system. People with rheumatoid arthritis often exhibit symmetrical inflammation of the joints, commonly in the hands and feet.
What Patterns Are Related To Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)?
Arthritis (Bi Syndromes) - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of arthritis (bi syndromes) generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of arthritis (bi syndromes):Spleen and Stomach Damp Heat
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Arthritis (Bi Syndromes) Is Discussed
- Eight Brocades Qigong Practitioners Experience Health Improvements Beyond Normal Exercise (Study)
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Looking at the unwell can make you well...
- Acupuncture as an alternative to an epidural for labor pain (Study)
- Lavender Oil Massage Helpful for Infantile Colic
- Acupuncture for Spinal Cord Injury
- How LI 11 and ST 37 Acupuncture Points Alleviate Constipation
- Your Own Saliva Better For Wound Healing Than Yunnan Baiyao Alone
- Exploring the "how" of acupuncture - infrared radiation spectrum to illustrate point activity
- Thought Field Therapy (TFT) Found Useful for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Stimulation of KD 3 Acupuncture Point Effects Physical Kidney Chemistry
Which Acupuncture Point Protocols May Be Applied For Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)?
Arthritis (Bi Syndromes) - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following acupuncture treatment protocols may be used with arthritis (bi syndromes):
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)?
Arthritis (Bi Syndromes) - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for arthritis (bi syndromes) that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with arthritis (bi syndromes):
5 Points Are Empirically Important For Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)
3 TCM Herbs Are Potentially Used With Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)
The Following (8)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Arthritis (Bi Syndromes)
Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan (Solitary Hermit Teapills)
- For chronic pain due to obstruction (bi zheng) with liver and kidney deficiency.
- For lower back pain often with weakness and/or pain in the knees.
- For arthritis, especially the type affected by cold/damp weather.
- Use with caution during pregnancy.
- Do not use with patients that present with damp heat or excess heat.
Fang Ji Huang Qi Wan (Stephania and Astragalus Teapills)
- Wind damp / wind edema (feng shui, literally "wind water") patterns, generally acute - heavy sensation of the body, superficial edema, difficulty with urination - idiopathic edema, ascites.
- Weak wei qi - frequent colds, flus.
- Wind damp bi syndromes (osteoarthritis or rheumatoid, swelling, edema), particularly of the knees.
- Idiopathic sweating issues (weak exterior and weak spleen).
- Bone fractures with the right underlying issues, generally associated with damp bi.
- Weight loss with deficiency signs (weak appetite, heavy sensation of body).
Huo Luo Xiao Ling Wan (Miraculously Effective Pill To Invigorate The Collaterals)
- A range of pain related issues when they arise from qi and blood stagnation (both acute and chronic) - pain essentially anywhere in the body, bruises and swelling and other signs of stasis. May often be combined with other formulas which deal more with the root issues.
- Abdominal masses, fibroids, cysts as well as organ related issues such as cirrhosis, appendicitis and inflammatory conditions such as endometriosis.
- May be used to help clear an ectopic pregnancy with the right factors.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Avoid with heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Use only under direction if you are taking blood thinners.
- Generally not for long term use.
Juan Bi Wan (Remove Painful Obstruction Decoction)
- Wind-cold-damp bi syndromes in qi deficient patients - joint pain possibly with heaviness of the limbs that generally improves with movement. Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gouty arthritis. With wind-cold-damp patterns other inflammatory conditions such as fibromyalgia.
- Atrophy from qi and blood stagnation - stroke recovery.
Shu Jing Huo Xue Wan (Relax The Channels and Invigorate The Blood Decoction)
- Primarily used for blood stasis with wind-damp in the channels and collaterals characterized by internal deficiency with external excesses - joint pain, muscle aches, numbness and/or pain in the lower extremities (may be severe).
- Wind-cold damp bi-syndrome (i.e. arthritis) - particularly in the lower part of the body, hips, knees, lower back.
- Sciatic pain with the correct underlying pattern.
- Neck pain with the correct underling pattern.
- Fractures that are reluctant to heal, particularly in the lower body.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Generally not for long term use and use with caution if at all in deficient patients.
Si Miao Wan (Four Marvels Powder)
- Damp-Heat Bi-Syndromes in Chinese Medicine terms - arthritis with hot swollen joints. With the right underlying diagnosis both osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis would respond.
- Weakness and/or atrophy in the lower body with swelling.
- Leukorrhea and other heat related discharge.
- Avoid in pregnancy.
- Avoid in deficiency cases.
- Generally not suitable for arthritis with cold/deficient signs.
Zhuang Gu Guan Jie Wan (Invigorate Bone and Joint Pills)
- Damp and Cold bi-syndromes - arthritis (osteo primarily), joint pain, muscles aches that is aggravated with cold and/or damp weather - weakness of the knee, pain in lower back, general weakness, pain in joints, stiffness of joints, and pain that moves around.
Zuo Gu Shen Jing Tong Wan (Sciatica Pills)
- Wind-cold-damp bi syndromes with particular issues in the lower back and legs - sciatic pain, heaviness in the lower body, hip and knee pain, arthritis in those areas (osteo or rheumatoid).
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about arthritis (bi syndromes)? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Inflammed cracked calloused feet
- Hot and full ears
- Swelling face, low blood pressure and hemoroid
- Gynecomastia treatment
- Shiatsu for Lymphedema on left leg + varicose veins
- Intestinal problem
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Tooth Infection
- What type of treatment works best for the lymphatic system?
- Gastroisofagial reflux