Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Athetosis
What Is Athetosis?
Athetosis - Basics
Athetosis is a symptom involving slow, involuntary, convoluted, writhingmovements of the hands, feet, fingers, toes and in some cases the arms, legs, neck and tongue. The cause is generally lesions to the brain, particularly to the corpus striatum. It is often the result of cerebral palsy or some other condition.
What Patterns Are Related To Athetosis?
Athetosis - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of athetosis generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of athetosis:Kidney Jing DeficiencyLiver Wind
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Moxibustion May Aid Crohn's Disease
- Research Shows Acupuncture Can Benefit Both Cognitive Performance and Neural Plasticity
- Rhinitis Study Finds Yu Ping Feng Wan with Western Treatment Far Superior to Western Treatment Alone
- Increase Your Green Tea Consumption - May Keep Liver Cancer At Bay
- Study Finds Acupuncture Has Anti-Depressant Effects Similar to Fluoxetine (Prozac)
- Acupuncture Effective for Fibromyalgia - Pain Modulators Improved For Months Following Treatments
- Tai Chi Found To Slow Early Parkinson's Progression Delaying Need For Levodopa
- Tinnitus Treatment - Back Acupuncture with Tuina Found More Effective Than Standard Acupuncture
- Chinese Herbal Medicines - Teas vs. Prepared Pills/Granules - Researchers Say No Clinical Differences
- Acupuncture Useful for Gouty Arthritis
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Athetosis?
Athetosis - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for athetosis that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with athetosis:
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about athetosis? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Blood stasis in uterus and legs / herbal formula
- recurring boils
- Female senior , Ovaries , as / if related to Brain Health
- Im an acupuncture student
- Meridian Pen / Electronic Acupoint Massager with Laser/ Electronic Acupuncture Tendon Retractor Rod
- Cold and Thirst at night
- My Spleen is Weak
- Excess body heat
- Help with Covid Symptoms
- Help for Nasal Polyps