Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Athetosis
What Is Athetosis?
Athetosis - Basics
Athetosis is a symptom involving slow, involuntary, convoluted, writhingmovements of the hands, feet, fingers, toes and in some cases the arms, legs, neck and tongue. The cause is generally lesions to the brain, particularly to the corpus striatum. It is often the result of cerebral palsy or some other condition.
What Patterns Are Related To Athetosis?
Athetosis - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of athetosis generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of athetosis:Kidney Jing DeficiencyLiver Wind
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Bu Zhong Yi Qi Wan - Why It Helps With Chemo Related Fatigue? (Study)
- Coffee, Tea, and Acupuncture for Pain - They May Not Mix
- Do The Effects of Acupuncture For Chronic Pain Last? (Yes, Study Says)
- Acupressure at SP 6 (San Yin Jiao) Found Helpful for Dysmenorrhea (Painful Menstruation/Cramping)
- Study Finds Acupuncture with Bloodletting Superior To Claritin (Loratadine) For Hives (Chronic Urticaria)
- Acupuncture Outperforms Splinting for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Qigong Helpful for Chronic Neck Pain Sufferers
- Animal Study Shows Promise for TCM Herbal Treatment of Diabetes (Yi Qi Zeng Min Tang)
- Rhinitis Study Finds Yu Ping Feng Wan with Western Treatment Far Superior to Western Treatment Alone
- Lavender Oil Massage Helpful for Infantile Colic
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Athetosis?
Athetosis - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for athetosis that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with athetosis:
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about athetosis? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Corona Virus and western medicine
- Varicocele grade 3
- Trapped wind and bloating
- Neuropathy blend
- Chinese Medicine Lifestyle And Herbal Approaches To The Coronavirus - discussion (2020-03-26 03:26:29am)
- CTEPH-Chronic clots causing pulmonary hypertension
- Compromised immune system
- Purulent tooth root
- Iron Deficiency or Iron Overload
- Chronic Vaginal Discharge