Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Athetosis
What Is Athetosis?
Athetosis - Basics
Athetosis is a symptom involving slow, involuntary, convoluted, writhingmovements of the hands, feet, fingers, toes and in some cases the arms, legs, neck and tongue. The cause is generally lesions to the brain, particularly to the corpus striatum. It is often the result of cerebral palsy or some other condition.
What Patterns Are Related To Athetosis?
Athetosis - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of athetosis generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of athetosis:Kidney Jing DeficiencyLiver Wind
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Tai Chi Found To Slow Early Parkinson's Progression Delaying Need For Levodopa
- Study Finds Long Term Tai Chi Practice Keeps You Smart
- Acupuncture Back Shu Points Found Effective for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Acupuncture Treatment Helpful for Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Acupuncture for Insomnia - Mechanisms Explored
- Qigong found helpful for Diabetes Patients
- Common Household Chemicals May Cause Fertility Issues
- Tinnitus Treatment - Back Acupuncture with Tuina Found More Effective Than Standard Acupuncture
- Acupuncture Effective for Fibromyalgia - Pain Modulators Improved For Months Following Treatments
- Plum Blossom Needling and Cupping for Facial Palsy/Bell's Palsy Superior to Laser Irradiation
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Athetosis?
Athetosis - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for athetosis that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with athetosis:
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about athetosis? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Nasal polyps by using sanitizer
- lymphatic benign tumor
- Auto immune disease- Pemphigus vulgaris
- bechet's disease
- Fibrosis Pulmonary
- Vagul Nervous system.
- Question about Shipping to EU
- Shen Tong Zhu Yu Availability
- Help for PoTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
- acupuncture used to decrease opioids in bariatric surgery