Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Cataracts
What Is Cataracts?
Cataracts - Basics
Cataracts become quite common in people over the age of 40. They are a primary cause of blindness around the world. There are 3 main types, subcapsular (back of the lense, more common with diabetes), nuclear (in the nucleus of the lens, primarily aging related), and cortical (periphery of the lense). They generally start out small and patients will notice a minor cloudy effect initially until symptoms worsen. Chinese Medicine works primarily to limit the causal factors of the development of cataracts, surgically removing existing ones when appropriate is a useful approach for those already formed.
What Patterns Are Related To Cataracts?
Cataracts - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of cataracts generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of cataracts:Liver Blood DeficiencyLiver Blood StagnationLiver Yin Deficiency
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Finds Wu Zi Yan Zong Wan Herbal Formula Improves Sperm Production
- How LI 11 and ST 37 Acupuncture Points Alleviate Constipation
- Tai Chi Improves Lung Function in COPD Practitioners
- Acupuncture and Moxibustion Outperform Medicine (Acitretin - Soriatane) for Psoriasis
- Chinese Herbal Medicines - Teas vs. Prepared Pills/Granules - Researchers Say No Clinical Differences
- Study Finds Acupuncture Effective and Safer for PCOS than Metformin
- Auricular Acupressure Found Helpful for Glaucoma
- Acupuncture as an alternative to an epidural for labor pain (Study)
- Meta-Analysis Finds Acupuncture with Moxibustion Most Effective Treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Acupuncture Outperforms Glucosamine HCL over the Long-Term for Knee Osteoarthritis
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Cataracts?
Cataracts - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for cataracts that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with cataracts: