Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Chronic Illness
What Is Chronic Illness?
Chronic Illness - Basics
A Chronic Illness is one that is long-term, with side effects and symptoms occurring sporadically or progressively worsening. Types of chronic illnesses include epilepsy, diabetes, sickle-cell anemia, lupus and others. Individuals suffering from a chronic illness often deal with emotional and physical stress, in addition to the symptoms associated with his/her illness.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Chronic Illness.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Chronic Illness Is Discussed
- The Science Behind Lymphatic Massage
- Acupuncture Back Shu Points Found Effective for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Effect of Chinese Herbal Medicine on Breast Cancer
- Acupuncture with Moxibustion Helps BPH (Study)
- How You Can Prevent Cancer With Diet and Lifestyle Change
- Animal Study Shows Promise for TCM Herbal Treatment of Diabetes (Yi Qi Zeng Min Tang)
- Moxibustion Effectively Treats Perimenopause Symptoms - Lower Cancer Risk compared with HRT (Study)
- Ye Gu Herb (Aeginetia Indica) Found To Have Anti-Cancer Benefits in Kidney/Renal Cancer Disease
- Anxiety With Your Visit to the Dentist? Auricular Acupuncture Shown To Help...
- Needling Multiple Acupuncture Points - Brain Activation More Than The Sum
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Chronic Illness
The Following (3)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Chronic Illness
Ren Shen Yang Rong Wan (Ginseng Decoction to Nourish the Nutritive Qi)
- Tonifies both qi and blood and nourishes the heart and calms the spirit - generally used for weakness from longer term or deep diseases such as cancer and for a host of other conditions affecting a broad range of the body and psyche such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and autoimmune conditions such as Lupus, Scleroderma, MCTD.
- May be used alone or in conjunction with a formula such as yu ping feng wan to enhance immunity - particularly in patients with frequent colds and flus.
- Raynaud's condition in addition to the other connective tissue issues listed above.
- Micturition syncope, nephritis, cancers of the genitourinary tract.
- Male infertility, possibly with Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan, for sperm volume and motility issues.
- Along with other immune benefits, hepatitis C.
- Lung cancer.
- Use with caution or seek an alternative in deficiency cases with very pronounced sensations of coldness. Part of this is due to the relatively neutral (i.e. non warming) aspects of this formula.
Xiao Chai Hu Tang Wan (Minor Bupleurum Decoction)
- Shao Yang Syndrome (or "lesser yang stage") - alternating fever and chills, hypochondriac pain, irritability, bitter taste in mouth, poor appetite, nausea. Often used for illnesses (chronic or short-term) such as the flu, etc. that have "cleared" but not completely. People will describe not feeling quite right or having a range of low level symptoms for months or longer after a particular illness. Instead of fever and chills alternating they may manifest with cold extremities and warm interior or other variations.
- A range of liver related conditions including malaria, jaundice, hepatitis, liver cancer, meniere's disease, general protection from medicines that may harm the liver, etc. among issues with other digestive organs - pancreatitis, stomatitis, gastritis.
- Liver/speen disharmonies resulting in broader issues such as depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, menstrual irregularities (PMS, cramping, etc.).
- Other general immune issues such as the common cold, flu, tonsillitis, general seasonal allergies with the right underlying factors.
- Use with caution with yin and/or blood deficiencies.
- Avoid cold, raw, and spicy foods while taking xiao chai hu tang.
Yu Ping Feng Wan (Jade Windscreen Formula)
- Frequent colds, flus, chronic bronchitis - general low immunity to common infections.
- Spontaneous sweating, aversion to wind and/or cold.
- With appropriate diagnosis may be used to treat acute facial paralysis/Bell's Palsy.
- Particularly useful for children who always get sick often and tend towards the worst versions of whatever pathogen is going around (i.e. illnesses that quickly travel deeply - common cold to bronchitis, etc.) - often needs to be taken for many months, ideally during a period when they are not sick.
- Use with caution with patients presenting with yin deficiency.
- Do not use for spontaneous sweating due to an exterior syndrome - only for sweating due to wei qi deficiency.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about chronic illness? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums