Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Crohn's Disease
What Is Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's Disease - Basics
Crohn's Disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease that causes the digestive tract to swell. This inflammation causes pain in the abdomen, diarrhea and sometimes rectal bleeding. While the digestive, or gastrointestinal, tract extends from the mouth to the anus, the most commonly irritated area is the lower part of the small intestine.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Crohn's Disease.
What Patterns Are Related To Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's Disease - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of crohn's disease generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of crohn's disease:Large Intestine Blood StagnationLarge Intestine Damp HeatSpleen Invasion - Cold DampSpleen Qi DeficiencySpleen Qi SinkingSpleen and Stomach Damp Heat
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Lavender Oil Massage Helpful for Infantile Colic
- Tai Chi as Therapy for Fibromyalgia, Rheumatic Disease
- Study Finds Fructus Schisandra Chinensis (Wu Wei Zi) Useful for Cholesterol Reduction
- Study Finds Acupuncture Superior To Claritin For Allergic Rhinitis
- Acupressure at SP 6 (San Yin Jiao) Found Helpful for Dysmenorrhea (Painful Menstruation/Cramping)
- Study Finds Tai Chi Helpful for Parkinson's Disease
- Abdominal Acupuncture for Neck Pain - Zhiyun Bo Techniques (Study)
- Tai Chi Reduces Systemic Inflammation in Practitioners
- Qigong Helpful for Chronic Neck Pain Sufferers
- Electro-Acupuncture Found Useful for Analgesia During Bone Marrow Biopsy
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's Disease - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for crohn's disease that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with crohn's disease:
4 Points Are Empirically Important For Crohn's Disease
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Crohn's Disease
Ge Xia Zhu Yu Wan (Drive Out Blood Stasis Below The Diaphragm Decoction)
- For blood stasis below the diaphgram - abdominal masses, liver and spleen masses/swelling, colitis.
- A range of liver disorders are possibly applicable - cirrhosis, hepatic hemangioma, hepatitis, jaundice.
- Spleen disorders - splenomegaly.
- Pleural adhesions.
- A range of menstrual disorders - fibroids, endometriosis, dysmenorrhea (although Shao Fu Zhu Yu Wan may be more appropriate as that targets more the lower jiao).
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- May be used to help expel ectopic pregnancy.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Use only under direction during menstruation.
- Use only under direction if you are taking blood thinners.
- Generally not for long term use.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about crohn's disease? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- What type of treatment works best for the lymphatic system?
- Gastroisofagial reflux
- What does the constant feeling of wet feet mean?
- Liu wei huang wan caused spleen/stomach issue
- Itch after moxa at Du 14
- Maintenance Sleep (Insomnia)
- Severe (partially low) back pain/spinal bone spur
- Neurological disorders
- Getting worse after accupressure
- Urgent help! Need guidance on Suo Quan Wan