Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Crohn's Disease
What Is Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's Disease - Basics
Crohn's Disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease that causes the digestive tract to swell. This inflammation causes pain in the abdomen, diarrhea and sometimes rectal bleeding. While the digestive, or gastrointestinal, tract extends from the mouth to the anus, the most commonly irritated area is the lower part of the small intestine.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Crohn's Disease.
What Patterns Are Related To Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's Disease - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of crohn's disease generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of crohn's disease:Large Intestine Blood StagnationLarge Intestine Damp HeatSpleen Invasion - Cold DampSpleen Qi DeficiencySpleen Qi SinkingSpleen and Stomach Damp Heat
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Tai Chi as Therapy for Fibromyalgia, Rheumatic Disease
- Acupuncture Improves Neural Function in Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion Rat Model (Stroke Study)
- Study Finds Long Term Tai Chi Practice Keeps You Smart
- Study Finds Yin Qiao Helpful and Safe for Children To Drop Fever
- Chinese Herb, Sweetflag Rhizome, Found Protective Against Alzheimer's and Neurodegeneration
- Moxibustion Found Helpful for Knee Osteoarthritis
- Need Focus and Impulse Control? - Practice Tai Chi
- Effect of Chinese Herbal Medicine on Breast Cancer
- Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial Finds Acupuncture Superior to Medication for Treatment of Migraines
- Acupuncture Outperforms Splinting for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Crohn's Disease?
Crohn's Disease - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for crohn's disease that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with crohn's disease:
4 Points Are Empirically Important For Crohn's Disease
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Crohn's Disease
Ge Xia Zhu Yu Wan (Drive Out Blood Stasis Below The Diaphragm Decoction)
- For blood stasis below the diaphgram - abdominal masses, liver and spleen masses/swelling, colitis.
- A range of liver disorders are possibly applicable - cirrhosis, hepatic hemangioma, hepatitis, jaundice.
- Spleen disorders - splenomegaly.
- Pleural adhesions.
- A range of menstrual disorders - fibroids, endometriosis, dysmenorrhea (although Shao Fu Zhu Yu Wan may be more appropriate as that targets more the lower jiao).
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- May be used to help expel ectopic pregnancy.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Use only under direction during menstruation.
- Use only under direction if you are taking blood thinners.
- Generally not for long term use.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about crohn's disease? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- acupuncture used to decrease opioids in bariatric surgery
- Blood stasis in uterus and legs / herbal formula
- recurring boils
- Female senior , Ovaries , as / if related to Brain Health
- Im an acupuncture student
- Meridian Pen / Electronic Acupoint Massager with Laser/ Electronic Acupuncture Tendon Retractor Rod
- Cold and Thirst at night
- My Spleen is Weak
- Excess body heat
- Help with Covid Symptoms