Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Dermatitis
What Is Dermatitis?
Dermatitis - Basics
Dermatitis is the term used to describe any type of skin inflammation. This can present in the form of a rash, bumps, blisters, dryness and/or itchy skin. Common types of dermatitis include atopic, contact, seborrheic and stasis.
Atopic dermatitis is characterized by chronic skin inflammation that occurs in flares (periods of peaked irritation) and remissions. Contact dermatitis occurs when the skin comes in contact with an irritant or allergen that causes the skin to produce an itchy rash in the area of contact. Seborrheic dermatitis causes yellowish or white, scaly patches to form on oily areas of the body. Commonly occurring in the lower legs, stasis dermatitis causes skin irritation and the appearance of dark legions due to reduced blood circulation.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Dermatitis.
What Patterns Are Related To Dermatitis?
Dermatitis - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of dermatitis generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of dermatitis:Heat in the BloodKidney Yang DeficiencyKidney Yin DeficiencyLiver WindLiver Yin DeficiencyLiver and Gallbladder Damp HeatSpleen Yang Deficiency
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Dermatitis Is Discussed
- Acupressure at LI 11 May Reduce Itching and Skin Changes With Atopic Dermatitis
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial Finds Acupuncture Superior to Medication for Treatment of Migraines
- Ye Gu Herb (Aeginetia Indica) Found To Have Anti-Cancer Benefits in Kidney/Renal Cancer Disease
- Acupuncture Related Stimulation Found Helpful for Asthma
- fMRI Study Shows Brain Changes from Acupuncture
- Exploration of KD 3 Acupuncture Point - Brain Changes (Study)
- Acupuncture helpful for pain from disc herniations in paraplegic dogs
- Study Finds Shu Gan Liang Xue Herbal Formula Has Breast Cancer Anti Tumor Effect
- Quality of Life Improvements from Acupuncture with Musculoskeletal Complaints
- Tai Chi Found To Reduce Fatigue in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Dermatitis
The Following (3)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Dermatitis
Fu Fang Zhen Zhu An Chuang Wan (Margarite Acne Pills)
- Cystic acne, pimples.
- Skin irritation due to damp heat - eczema, boils, carbuncles, etc.
- With appropriate diagnosis can be used for acute dermatitis, poison ivy/oak.
- Use with caution in patients that present with dryness or yin deficiency.
Si Wu Tang Wan (Four Substances Pills)
- The primary base formula for tonifying the blood and regulating menstruation in Chinese Medicine terms - irregular cycles, amenorrhea or long cycles.
- Postpartum issues such as uterine bleeding when arising from blood deficiency.
- General blood deficiency symptoms - dry skin, dry eyes, dry hair, anemia, calf cramping. Certain version of dermatitis, psoriasis and other skin conditions - diabetic ulcers, etc.
- With the right underlying factors threatened miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy.
- Fertility issues, endometriosis.
- Avoid during the early phases of a cold or flu.
Xiao Feng Wan (Clear Wind Pill)
- Itchy and red skin lesions, possibly with weeping -psoriasis, eczema, acne, etc.
- Topical allergic response, dermatitis -poison ivy, oak, sumac.
- Acute [allergic] edema in the limbs.
- Use with caution with patients that present with yin and or blood deficiency.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about dermatitis? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums