Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Eating Disorders
What Is Eating Disorders?
Eating Disorders - Basics
Eating disorders are characterized by extreme eating habits, intense concern over body image and weight, and extreme binging or reduction in food intake. Often, eating disorders coexist with psychiatric problems such as depression or anxiety, and can lead to physical symptoms as a result of unhealthy, dangerous eating habits. The two main types of eating disorders are Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa.
Individuals with Anorexia Nervosa are plagued by a distorted body image and subsequent obsession with losing weight that leads to compulsive, unhealthy behaviors and emaciation. These include carefully portioning foods, repeatedly weighing oneself, misusing laxatives or diuretics, excessive exercise, unhealthy dieting, self-induced vomiting, and others. Bulimia nervosa is characterized by repeated periods of binge-eating, or overeating, that individuals temper with periods of extreme dieting, exercise, or purging (self-induced vomiting or excessive use of laxatives). This is often accompanied by a feeling of being out of control. Unlike individuals with anorexia, bulimics often maintain a normal body weight and show no outward signs of an eating disorder. Some people have a third eating disorder, called Binge-Eating Disorder, that closely resembles bulimia without the purging stage.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for eating disorders.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Find Electro-Acupuncture May Slow And Possibly Rebuild Degenerative Disc Disease
- Acupuncture helpful for pain from disc herniations in paraplegic dogs
- Auricular Acupressure Found Helpful for Glaucoma
- Tuina (Chinese Medical Massage) May Improve Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Western Chemo Actions Aided by Shi Quan Da Bu Wan Herbal Formula for Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Anxiety With Your Visit to the Dentist? Auricular Acupuncture Shown To Help...
- Study Finds Shu Gan Liang Xue Herbal Formula Has Breast Cancer Anti Tumor Effect
- Acupressure at SP 6 (San Yin Jiao) Found Helpful for Dysmenorrhea (Painful Menstruation/Cramping)
- Magnesium Deficiency: A Growing Problem
- Tai Chi Reduces Systemic Inflammation in Practitioners
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Eating Disorders
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about eating disorders? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Gynecomastia treatment
- Shiatsu for Lymphedema on left leg + varicose veins
- Intestinal problem
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Tooth Infection
- What type of treatment works best for the lymphatic system?
- Gastroisofagial reflux
- What does the constant feeling of wet feet mean?
- Liu wei huang wan caused spleen/stomach issue
- Itch after moxa at Du 14