Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Eating Disorders
What Is Eating Disorders?
Eating Disorders - Basics
Eating disorders are characterized by extreme eating habits, intense concern over body image and weight, and extreme binging or reduction in food intake. Often, eating disorders coexist with psychiatric problems such as depression or anxiety, and can lead to physical symptoms as a result of unhealthy, dangerous eating habits. The two main types of eating disorders are Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa.
Individuals with Anorexia Nervosa are plagued by a distorted body image and subsequent obsession with losing weight that leads to compulsive, unhealthy behaviors and emaciation. These include carefully portioning foods, repeatedly weighing oneself, misusing laxatives or diuretics, excessive exercise, unhealthy dieting, self-induced vomiting, and others. Bulimia nervosa is characterized by repeated periods of binge-eating, or overeating, that individuals temper with periods of extreme dieting, exercise, or purging (self-induced vomiting or excessive use of laxatives). This is often accompanied by a feeling of being out of control. Unlike individuals with anorexia, bulimics often maintain a normal body weight and show no outward signs of an eating disorder. Some people have a third eating disorder, called Binge-Eating Disorder, that closely resembles bulimia without the purging stage.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for eating disorders.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Finds Fructus Schisandra Chinensis (Wu Wei Zi) Useful for Cholesterol Reduction
- Acupuncture as an alternative to an epidural for labor pain (Study)
- Laser Acupuncture Found Effective for Simple Weight Loss
- Acupuncture Back Shu Points Found Effective for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Acupuncture Outperforms Flunarizine for Migraine Prevention
- Acupuncture effective for cancer patients with persistent hiccups
- Qigong found helpful for Diabetes Patients
- Common Household Chemicals May Cause Fertility Issues
- Electro-Acupuncture vs. Regular Acupuncture for Insomnia with Major Depressive Disorder
- Integrated Amrita Meditation Technique Lowers Stress Hormones Cortisol and Adrenaline
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Eating Disorders
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about eating disorders? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums