Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Edema
What Is Edema?
Edema - Basics
Edema is swelling that occurs when fluids from the body's tissue build up in a particular area. Causes of edema include sunburn, pregnancy, certain medications, excessive consumption of salt, kidney disease, lymph node issues and heart failure.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for edema.
What Patterns Are Related To Edema?
Edema - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of edema generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of edema:Heart Yang DeficiencyKidney Yang DeficiencyLung Wind Invasion - Wind ColdSpleen Invasion - Cold DampSpleen Yang Deficiency
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Edema Is Discussed
- Study Explores Anti-Asthmatic Effects Of Moxibustion
- The Inner Workings of Herb-Partitioned Moxibustion For Crohn's Disease
- The Science Behind Lymphatic Massage
- Acupuncture with Metformin for Diabetes and Obesity Better Than Metformin Alone (Study)
- How Acupuncture Helps With Chemo Induced Nausea and Vomiting (Study)
- Safety of Acupuncture During Pregnancy - Exploration of the "Forbidden Points" (Study)
- Chest and Abdomen Acupressure Points
- My Lungs Are What? Melancholy, Fall, and A Good Deep Breath
- My Spleen is What? The Earth Element in Chinese Medicine...
- My Kidneys Are What?
Which Acupuncture Point Protocols May Be Applied For Edema?
Edema - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following acupuncture treatment protocols may be used with edema:
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Edema?
Edema - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for edema that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with edema:
10 Points Are Empirically Important For Edema
17 TCM Herbs Are Potentially Used With Edema
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Edema
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Edema
Fang Ji Huang Qi Wan (Stephania and Astragalus Teapills)
- Wind damp / wind edema (feng shui, literally "wind water") patterns, generally acute - heavy sensation of the body, superficial edema, difficulty with urination - idiopathic edema, ascites.
- Weak wei qi - frequent colds, flus.
- Wind damp bi syndromes (osteoarthritis or rheumatoid, swelling, edema), particularly of the knees.
- Idiopathic sweating issues (weak exterior and weak spleen).
- Bone fractures with the right underlying issues, generally associated with damp bi.
- Weight loss with deficiency signs (weak appetite, heavy sensation of body).
Wu Ling San Wan (Five-Ingredient Powder with Poria)
- Generally used, often in conjunction with other formulas, as a mild-diuretic and mild spleen strengthening formula - for edema from spleen qi deficiency primarily.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about edema? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Neuropathy blend
- Chinese Medicine Lifestyle And Herbal Approaches To The Coronavirus - discussion (2020-03-26 03:26:29am)
- CTEPH-Chronic clots causing pulmonary hypertension
- Compromised immune system
- Purulent tooth root
- Iron Deficiency or Iron Overload
- Chronic Vaginal Discharge
- About Spleen 4 for cold feet and Yang
- Introduction to the Tong Ren Therapy - Energy Healing Method - discussion (2020-03-16 08:41:04am)
- Emphysema healed