Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Emphysema
What Is Emphysema?
Emphysema - Basics
Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) involving damage to the air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. It causes the body to not get the oxygen it needs. Emphysema makes it hard to catch your breath. The most common cause is cigarette smoking.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Emphysema.
What Patterns Are Related To Emphysema?
Emphysema - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of emphysema generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of emphysema:Blood StagnationKidney Qi DeficiencyLung Dampness - Phlegm HeatLung Qi DeficiencyLung Wind Invasion - Wind ColdPhlegm StagnationSpleen Qi Deficiency
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Emphysema Is Discussed
- Introduction to the Tong Ren Therapy - Energy Healing Method
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Acupuncture Used to Regain Homeostasis in Acute Cardiac Cases
- Animal Study Shows Promise for TCM Herbal Treatment of Diabetes (Yi Qi Zeng Min Tang)
- Ye Gu Herb (Aeginetia Indica) Found To Have Anti-Cancer Benefits in Kidney/Renal Cancer Disease
- Study Illustrates How Electroacupuncture Promotes Healing Of A Bruised Calf Muscle
- Acupuncture Effective for Chemo Fatigue - 10 Trials With 1327 Patients
- Analysis of TCM Herbal Formula Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Moxibustion Effectively Treats Perimenopause Symptoms - Lower Cancer Risk compared with HRT (Study)
- Brain Changes Involved In Alzheimer's Improve With Acupuncture (Study)
- Study Finds Wu Zi Yan Zong Wan Herbal Formula Improves Sperm Production
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Emphysema?
Emphysema - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for emphysema that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with emphysema:
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Emphysema
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Emphysema
Bu Fei Er Jiao Wan (Tonify the Lungs Formula with Gelatin)
- Lung yin deficiency with strong heat signs and/or bleeding - chronic dry cough, wheezing, pneumonia, bronchitis, asthma, tuberculosis, COPD.
- Stops bleeding when it arises from lung yin deficiency - mild bloody sputum with dry cough.
- Avoid in patients with wind-cold (i.e. "common cold").
- Avoid when there are profuse amounts of blood in the sputum.
- Avoid, or use with caution, in patients with stomach and/or spleen deficiencies, particularly with phlegm accumulation.
Er Chen Wan (Two Aged Herbs)
- The primary base formula to resolve phlegm damp, particularly in the lungs and GI system - cough (with white mucus), plugged ears, sinus blockage - along with GI symptoms of nausea, vomiting.
- Upper respiratory tract infections, bronchitis, emphysema, COPD - when arising from phlegm damp.
- Phlegm accumulation in the head symptoms such as dizziness, insomnia, meniere's disease, alcohol hangover.
- Cysts from phlegm accumulation - fibroids, breast cyst, ovarian cyst, thryoid cysts, goiter.
- Avoid in patients with yin deficiency - i.e. cough from dryness.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about emphysema? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Urinary Bladder Wind
- Piriformis syndrome
- Questions about size of needle for ear body face
- Womens Rhythm formula has other effects?
- Should I Switch Acupuncturist?
- Impact of breastfeeding
- SwollenParathyroid glands how to treat them auriculo- Microsystems acupuncture -tong ren modality
- constant migraines
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension
- Internal Wind & Living Conditions