Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Epilepsy (Seizure)
What Is Epilepsy (Seizure)?
Epilepsy (Seizure) - Basics
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder in which neurons in the brain signal abnormally, causing seizures, loss of consciousness, unusual behavior or sensations, and muscle spasms. Several different factors can cause epilepsy, including abnormal brain development, head injury, certain illnesses and imbalance of neurotransmitters (chemicals that signal and relay messages to the nerves). An individual can have seizures without being epileptic. Generally two or more seizures is an indicator of epilepsy.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Epilepsy.
What Patterns Are Related To Epilepsy (Seizure)?
Epilepsy (Seizure) - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of epilepsy (seizure) generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of epilepsy (seizure):Kidney Qi DeficiencyLiver WindLiver Yang RisingLiver and Gallbladder Damp Heat
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Tai Chi Reduces Systemic Inflammation in Practitioners
- Acupuncture helpful for pain from disc herniations in paraplegic dogs
- Study Finds Xiao Chai Hu Tang Offers An Anti-Depressant Effect
- Acupuncture Resolves Menstrual Cramps Regardless of Treatment Frequency and Technique
- Research Shows Acupuncture Can Benefit Both Cognitive Performance and Neural Plasticity
- Light Acupuncture at LI 4 Helpful for Infantile Colic
- Yunnan Baiyao Herbal Formula Found Helpful for Colitis / Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Meta-Analysis Finds Acupuncture Effective for Sleep Apnea
- Acupuncture, Pricking, and Cupping Effective for Treatment of Shingles (Herpes Zoster)
- Polygonum Multiflorum (He Shou Wu) Shows Beneficial Effect on Alzheimers Disease
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Epilepsy (Seizure)?
Epilepsy (Seizure) - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for epilepsy (seizure) that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with epilepsy (seizure):
12 Points Are Empirically Important For Epilepsy (Seizure)
3 TCM Herbs Are Potentially Used With Epilepsy (Seizure)
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Epilepsy (Seizure)
Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Wan (Bupleurum, Dragon Bone, and Oyster Shell Formula)
- Palpitations, anxiety, restlessness, agitation/irritibility, and insomnia from heat due to liver yang or fire.
- Mental disorders such as including biopolar and schizophrenia resulting from distrubed shen.
- Symptoms of addiction recovery: cravings, anxiety, mood swings etc.
Hui Chun Wan (Recovery Special Pill)
Most often used for childhood convulsions (possibly with wheezing, nausea, nighttime crying, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive mucus/saliva) or other conditions that involve fever, impaired or loss of consciousness, irritability, restlessness such as seizure disorders, meningitis, measles, and gastroenteritis among others.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about epilepsy (seizure)? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums