Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Gout
What Is Gout?
Gout - Basics
Gout occurs when there is an excessive amount of uric acid, which builds up in the body forming deposits in joints and/or soft tissues. Uric acid is the biproduct of purines--a substance normally found in bodily tissue and in some foods. The kidneys normally eliminate uric acid from the body through urine, however if the body generates too much of the substance or if the kidneys cannot filter enough out, uric acid builds in the blood and can deposit in the joints. This causes inflammation, stiffness, warmth and intense pain in the affected area. Commonly, people with gout initially experience these symptoms in the joints of the big toe, however, gout can also affect the ankles, heels, wrists, fingers, elbows, insteps and knees.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for gout.
What Patterns Are Related To Gout?
Gout - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of gout generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of gout:Kidney Qi DeficiencyKidney Yang DeficiencyLiver Blood DeficiencyLiver Cold StagnationLiver Wind
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Gout Is Discussed
- Popular Chinese Herbal Formula Found To Aid Chronic Liver Disease
- Acupuncture Useful for Gouty Arthritis
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Tai Chi for Diabetes
- Study Illustrates How Electroacupuncture Promotes Healing Of A Bruised Calf Muscle
- Study Finds Infant Massage Can Lower Bilirubin Levels In Preterm Newborns
- PC 6 Aids Short Term Stress Induced Memory Loss
- Study Find Auricular Acupuncture Improves Treatment Retention for Smoking Cessation
- How LI 11 and ST 37 Acupuncture Points Alleviate Constipation
- Reduction of Insulin Sensitivity from Acupuncture in Diabetes and Obesity
- Acupuncture for Overactive Bladder
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Gout
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Gout
The Following (1)Formula TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Gout
Si Miao Wan (Four Marvels Powder)
- Damp-Heat Bi-Syndromes in Chinese Medicine terms - arthritis with hot swollen joints. With the right underlying diagnosis both osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis would respond.
- Weakness and/or atrophy in the lower body with swelling.
- Leukorrhea and other heat related discharge.
- Avoid in pregnancy.
- Avoid in deficiency cases.
- Generally not suitable for arthritis with cold/deficient signs.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about gout? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Bacterial Vaginosis Treatment
- Hemorrhoids and anal discharge
- Crepey skin on upper arms
- Treatment for Gastroparesis
- Pins and Needles / Neuropathy
- Thyroid nodule recommendations?
- Family member in Coma
- How to differentiate between the root cause and the branch?
- Urinary Bladder (Uncommon) Disorder
- The significance of source points