Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Gout
What Is Gout?
Gout - Basics
Gout occurs when there is an excessive amount of uric acid, which builds up in the body forming deposits in joints and/or soft tissues. Uric acid is the biproduct of purines--a substance normally found in bodily tissue and in some foods. The kidneys normally eliminate uric acid from the body through urine, however if the body generates too much of the substance or if the kidneys cannot filter enough out, uric acid builds in the blood and can deposit in the joints. This causes inflammation, stiffness, warmth and intense pain in the affected area. Commonly, people with gout initially experience these symptoms in the joints of the big toe, however, gout can also affect the ankles, heels, wrists, fingers, elbows, insteps and knees.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for gout.
What Patterns Are Related To Gout?
Gout - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of gout generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of gout:Kidney Qi DeficiencyKidney Yang DeficiencyLiver Blood DeficiencyLiver Cold StagnationLiver Wind
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Gout Is Discussed
- Popular Chinese Herbal Formula Found To Aid Chronic Liver Disease
- Acupuncture Useful for Gouty Arthritis
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- You Gui Wan Herbal Formula May Offer Alternative to Hormone Replacement Therapy After Oophorectomy
- Leonurine (Chinese Motherwort) May Be Helpful For Stroke Recovery
- Plum Blossom Needling and Cupping for Facial Palsy/Bell's Palsy Superior to Laser Irradiation
- Acupuncture Outperforms Splinting for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Study Finds Labor Induction with Acupuncture Helpful and Cost Effective Vs. Conventional Methods
- LV 3 Acupuncture Point May Be Helpful for Alcoholic Liver Injury
- Acupressure on SP 6 effective for Menstrual Cramps
- Research Shows Acupuncture Can Benefit Both Cognitive Performance and Neural Plasticity
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Gout
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Gout
The Following (1)Formula TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Gout
Si Miao Wan (Four Marvels Powder)
- Damp-Heat Bi-Syndromes in Chinese Medicine terms - arthritis with hot swollen joints. With the right underlying diagnosis both osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis would respond.
- Weakness and/or atrophy in the lower body with swelling.
- Leukorrhea and other heat related discharge.
- Avoid in pregnancy.
- Avoid in deficiency cases.
- Generally not suitable for arthritis with cold/deficient signs.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about gout? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- What type of treatment works best for the lymphatic system?
- Gastroisofagial reflux
- What does the constant feeling of wet feet mean?
- Liu wei huang wan caused spleen/stomach issue
- Itch after moxa at Du 14
- Maintenance Sleep (Insomnia)
- Severe (partially low) back pain/spinal bone spur
- Neurological disorders
- Getting worse after accupressure
- Urgent help! Need guidance on Suo Quan Wan