Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Heartburn
What Is Heartburn?
Heartburn - Basics
Heartburn is the burning sensation felt in the chest or throat when acid from the stomach touches the lining of the esophagus. This can be the symptom of taking certain medications or foods, pregnancy, alcohol, or gastroesophageal reflux disease. GERD occurs when the lower esophageal sphincter (a valve-like muscle between the stomach and the esophagus) spontaneously opens or doesn't properly close, allowing digestive acids from the stomach to rise into the esophagus along with other stomach contents.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Heartburn.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Heartburn Is Discussed
- Chest and Abdomen Acupressure Points
- Thanksgiving and Acupuncture: The Role of Chinese Medicine in Prevention
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Finds Wu Mei Wan Herbal Formula Protects Pancreatic Beta Cells in Diabetes
- Acupuncture effective for cancer patients with persistent hiccups
- SP 6 Acupuncture Point Effect on Dysmenorrhea (Menstrual Pain/Cramps)
- Comparison of Acupuncture Techniques in Stroke Recovery
- Acupressure for Angina Safer and Similar Effect to Nitroglycerin Tablets
- Do The Effects of Acupuncture For Chronic Pain Last? (Yes, Study Says)
- Simple Combination of 3 Acupuncture Points Suppresses Systemic Inflammation and Reduces Oxidative Stress
- Three Widely Used Formulas for Cardiac Fibrosis Compared (Study)
Which Acupuncture Point Protocols May Be Applied For Heartburn?
Heartburn - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following acupuncture treatment protocols may be used with heartburn:
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Heartburn?
Heartburn - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for heartburn that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with heartburn:
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Heartburn
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Heartburn
Xiang Lian Wan (Aucklandia and Coptis Pills)
- Diarrhea expecially with bright blood or mucus and foul smelling resuling from damp heat.
- Nausea, abdominal cramps or bloating, with possible loss of appetite from damp accumulation.
- Vomitting, hiccups, excessive belching, acid reflux due to rebellious stomach qi and heat.
- The modifications in Jia Wei Xiang Lian Wan add more movement and stronger heat clearing from the base.
- Use with caution during pregnancy.
Xiang Sha Yang Wei Wan (Aucklandia Amomi Nurture Stomach Pills)
- Low appetite, apathy towards eating due to spleen qi deficiency.
- Acid reflux, indigestion, epigastric pain, tendency to feel full even with small quantities of food.
- Food stagnation due to overeating.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about heartburn? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- acupuncture used to decrease opioids in bariatric surgery
- Blood stasis in uterus and legs / herbal formula
- recurring boils
- Female senior , Ovaries , as / if related to Brain Health
- Im an acupuncture student
- Meridian Pen / Electronic Acupoint Massager with Laser/ Electronic Acupuncture Tendon Retractor Rod
- Cold and Thirst at night
- My Spleen is Weak
- Excess body heat
- Help with Covid Symptoms