Infertility - Basics
Infertility is the term used to describe a woman of normal childbearing age who has not become pregnant after at least one year of trying to conceive or a man who, after a year of trying, has not been able to impregnate a woman. The term can also be used for a woman who is able to become pregnant but is unsuccessful in carrying the pregnancy to birth. Possible causes of female infertility include: uterine fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes, certain genetic conditions, uterine wall problems, and certain lifestyle factors such as diet, smoking, age or stress. Possible causes of male infertility include: erectile dysfunction, exposure of testes to high temperatures, low sperm production, hormonal issues, and certain lifestyle factors.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Infertility.
Infertility - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of infertility generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of infertility:
Infertility - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following Acupuncture Treatment Protocols May Be Used With Infertility
Infertility - Formulas From Our Store
The following herbal formulas are potentially useful in the process of treating infertility. For a complete list from our store with more details see our infertility formula section.
Infertility - Questions
Need treatment options for infertility and not finding the information you need?
Using our forums our staff and our community may offer guidance with regards to the treatment of infertility.
Infertility - Related Acupuncture Points
The following (7) acupuncture points may be useful for infertility. A subset of these could potentially be useful with acupressure stimulation and/or tongren therapy methods as well.
Generally treatment would be based on the TCM patterns listed above instead of selecting points by function alone, (see general points selection rules.)
Infertility - Related Chinese Herbs
The following (4) chinese herbs may be useful for infertility. In most cases, however, treatment with Chinese Herbal Medicine is done with herbal formulas based on the TCM patterns listed above instead of selecting herbs by function alone. When available, relevant formulas will appear below and/or in the store listings above.
Herbal Medicine Blog Posts
The following (10) Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Infertility
- Ginseng Decoction to Nourish the Nutritive Qi
- Tonifies both qi and blood and nourishes the heart and calms the spirit - generally used for weakness from longer term or deep diseases such as cancer and for a host of other conditions affecting a broad range of the body and psyche such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and autoimmune conditions such as Lupus, Scleroderma, MCTD.
- May be used alone or in conjunction with a formula such as yu ping feng wan to enhance immunity - particularly in patients with frequent colds and flus.
- Raynaud's condition in addition to the other connective tissue issues listed above.
- Micturition syncope, nephritis, cancers of the genitourinary tract.
- Male infertility, possibly with Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan, for sperm volume and motility issues.
- Along with other immune benefits, hepatitis C.
- Lung cancer.
- Tonify the Qi and Blood
- Use with caution or seek an alternative in deficiency cases with very pronounced sensations of coldness. Part of this is due to the relatively neutral (i.e. non warming) aspects of this formula.
- Abdominal Stasis Relief Pills
- Qi and blood stagnation in the lower jiao - lower abdominal masses, fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis.
- Fertility issues in both men and women with the right underlying signs - amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, irregular cycles, uterine bleeding.
- Can be used to dispel ectopic pregnancy.
- Ulcerative colitis, urinary stones.
- Invigorate the Blood
- Invigorate the Blood and Dispel Blood Stasis
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Not generally applicable to heavy menstrual bleeding coming from deficiency.
- Four Substances Pills
- The primary base formula for tonifying the blood and regulating menstruation in Chinese Medicine terms - irregular cycles, amenorrhea or long cycles.
- Postpartum issues such as uterine bleeding when arising from blood deficiency.
- General blood deficiency symptoms - dry skin, dry eyes, dry hair, anemia, calf cramping. Certain version of dermatitis, psoriasis and other skin conditions - diabetic ulcers, etc.
- With the right underlying factors threatened miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy.
- Fertility issues, endometriosis.
- Tonify the Blood
- Avoid during the early phases of a cold or flu.
- Five Seeds to Bring Forth Offspring
- Free and Easy Wanderer
- Depression, anxiety, Headache, vertigo, hypochondriac pain, fatigue, poor appetite, bitter taste in the mouth. In women - PMS, breast distention, irregular menstruation, fertility issues.
- The Pulse will be wiry and deficient and the Tongue will be pale-red/purplish.
- Regulate and Harmonize the Liver and Spleen
- Restore the Right Kidney Pill
Signs of Kidney Yang deficiency - cold extremities, fatigue, impotence, weak/aching low back, knees, waist, aversion to cold, infertility, loose stools, incontinence or other urinary issues (frequent, difficult to restrain), edema in the lower body.
The Pulse will be weak and the Tongue will be be pale with a thin white moist coat.
- Warm and Tonify the Yang
© 2000-2017 - Yin Yang House - All Rights Reserved
Website Design and Management - Yin Yang House Media Services Group
Socialize With Us!