Infertility - Basics
Infertility is the term used to describe a woman of normal childbearing age who has not become pregnant after at least one year of trying to conceive or a man who, after a year of trying, has not been able to impregnate a woman. The term can also be used for a woman who is able to become pregnant but is unsuccessful in carrying the pregnancy to birth. Possible causes of female infertility include: uterine fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes, certain genetic conditions, uterine wall problems, and certain lifestyle factors such as diet, smoking, age or stress. Possible causes of male infertility include: erectile dysfunction, exposure of testes to high temperatures, low sperm production, hormonal issues, and certain lifestyle factors.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Infertility.
Infertility - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of infertility generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of infertility:
Infertility - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following Acupuncture Treatment Protocols May Be Used With Infertility
Infertility - Tam Healing - Tong Ren Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for infertility that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam Healing/Tong Ren Therapy Protocols May Be Used With Infertility
Infertility - Formulas From Our Store
The following herbal formulas are potentially useful in the process of treating infertility. For a complete list from our store with more details see our infertility formula section.
Infertility - Questions
Need treatment options for infertility and not finding the information you need?
Using our forums our staff and our community may offer guidance with regards to the treatment of infertility.
Infertility - Related Acupuncture Points
The following (12) acupuncture points may be useful for infertility. A subset of these could potentially be useful with acupressure stimulation and/or tongren therapy methods as well.
Generally treatment would be based on the TCM patterns listed above instead of selecting points by function alone, (see general points selection rules.)
Infertility - Related Chinese Herbs
The following (4) chinese herbs may be useful for infertility. In most cases, however, treatment with Chinese Herbal Medicine is done with herbal formulas based on the TCM patterns listed above instead of selecting herbs by function alone. When available, relevant formulas will appear below and/or in the store listings above.
Herbal Medicine Blog Posts
The following (11) Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Infertility
- Eight Treasure Combination
- For recovery of qi and blood after acute trauma or accident
- For frequent heavy menstrual cycles
- Pale complexion, fatigue, dizziness from qi deficiency
- Vertigo, palpitations, anxiety from blood deficiency
- Tonify the Qi and Blood
- Do not confuse with Ba Zheng Wan - which is a clearing formula.
- Two Immortal Decoction
- Kidney Yin and Kidney Yang deficiencies with Empty Heat - hormonal issues such as menopause (possibly w/hypertension), amenorrhea, hot flashes along with associated symptoms of fatigue, depression, insomnia, nervousness and more.
- Infertility with appropriate underlying factors, particularly when arising with amenorrhea or irregular menstruation.
- Aplastic anemia.
- Warm and Tonify the Yang
- Warm Uterus & Conception Pills
- Infertility, history of miscarriage due to blood deficiency and/or cold in the lower jiao from kidney yang deficiency.
- Irregular menstruation.
- Lower abdominal pain, lower back pain, uterine and/or ovarian pain.
- Invigorate the Blood
- Warm the Menses and Dispel Blood Stasis
- Use with caution for pregnancy.
- Ginseng Decoction to Nourish the Nutritive Qi
- Tonifies both qi and blood and nourishes the heart and calms the spirit - generally used for weakness from longer term or deep diseases such as cancer and for a host of other conditions affecting a broad range of the body and psyche such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and autoimmune conditions such as Lupus, Scleroderma, MCTD.
- May be used alone or in conjunction with a formula such as yu ping feng wan to enhance immunity - particularly in patients with frequent colds and flus.
- Raynaud's condition in addition to the other connective tissue issues listed above.
- Micturition syncope, nephritis, cancers of the genitourinary tract.
- Male infertility, possibly with Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan, for sperm volume and motility issues.
- Along with other immune benefits, hepatitis C.
- Lung cancer.
- Tonify the Qi and Blood
- Use with caution or seek an alternative in deficiency cases with very pronounced sensations of coldness. Part of this is due to the relatively neutral (i.e. non warming) aspects of this formula.
- Abdominal Stasis Relief Pills
- Qi and blood stagnation in the lower jiao - lower abdominal masses, fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis.
- Fertility issues in both men and women with the right underlying signs - amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, irregular cycles, uterine bleeding.
- Can be used to dispel ectopic pregnancy.
- Ulcerative colitis, urinary stones.
- Invigorate the Blood
- Invigorate the Blood and Dispel Blood Stasis
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Not generally applicable to heavy menstrual bleeding coming from deficiency.
- Four Substances Pills
- The primary base formula for tonifying the blood and regulating menstruation in Chinese Medicine terms - irregular cycles, amenorrhea or long cycles.
- Postpartum issues such as uterine bleeding when arising from blood deficiency.
- General blood deficiency symptoms - dry skin, dry eyes, dry hair, anemia, calf cramping. Certain version of dermatitis, psoriasis and other skin conditions - diabetic ulcers, etc.
- With the right underlying factors threatened miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy.
- Fertility issues, endometriosis.
- Tonify the Blood
- Avoid during the early phases of a cold or flu.
- Five Seeds to Bring Forth Offspring
- Impotence, premature ejaculation, noctural emissions, low libedo from weakened kidney jing (essence).
- Poor concentration and memory, listlessness, general fatigue and worsening eyesight also resulting from weakened jing.
- Low back pain, possibly with weakness of the knees from weakness of the kidney system.
- Infertility [male] with low sperm count or abnormal sperm morphology.
- Free and Easy Wanderer
- Depression, anxiety, loss of motivation - resulting from liver qi stagnation.
- Fatigue, bloating, changes in appetite from the combination of spleen qi deficiency with liver qi stagnation.
- PMS, breast distention, irregular menstruation and in some cases infertility.
- Regulate and Harmonize the Liver and Spleen
- Use with caution during pregnancy.
- Restore the Right Kidney Pill
- Cold extremities, fatigue, weak/aching low back, knees, waist, aversion to cold, loose stools - due to kindney yang deficiency.
- Impotence, infertility, low libedo, low sperm count, abnormal sperm morphology.
- Incontinence or other urinary issues (frequent, difficult to restrain), enlarged prostate.
- Warm and Tonify the Yang
- Use with caution with patients that present with damp signs.
- Right Returning Pills
- Infertility, low libedo, impotence due to kidney yin deficiency.
- Low sperm count, abnormal sperm morphology resulting from jing deficiency.
- Irregular menstruation, vaginal dryness.
- Tonify the Yin
© 2000-2018 - Yin Yang House - All Rights Reserved
Website Design and Management - Yin Yang House Media Services Group
Socialize With Us!
Love Chinese Medicine Books? We do as well! Purchase from Amazon by following the link below and a small percentage will go to supporting this resource: