Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Itching
What Is Itching?
Itching - Basics
Itching is a tingling sensation that invokes the desire to scratch the irritated area. It can be the symptom of several conditions or irritants including insect bites, parasites, allergic reaction, skin disease (such as chicken pox or eczema), dry skin and other factors.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for itching.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Itching Is Discussed
- Acupressure at LI 11 May Reduce Itching and Skin Changes With Atopic Dermatitis
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Finds Acupuncture Bloodletting Superior to Penicillin for Acute Tonsillitis in Children
- Coffee, Tea, and Acupuncture for Pain - They May Not Mix
- Study Shows Preventive Acupuncture Better for Dysmenorrhea (Cramps/Painful Menstruation)
- Acupuncture Improves Neural Function in Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion Rat Model (Stroke Study)
- Acupuncture Useful for Gouty Arthritis
- Acupressure Found Helpful for Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Study Finds Acupuncture 94.8% Effective for Fibromyalgia Pain Symptoms
- Qigong Helpful for Chronic Neck Pain Sufferers
- Acupuncture as an alternative to an epidural for labor pain (Study)
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Itching
6 TCM Herbs Are Potentially Used With Itching
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Itching
The Following (5)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Itching
Ba Wei Dai Xia Fang (Eight Herb Powder for Vaginal Discharge)
- Clearing damp heat in the lower warmer, particularly with underlying blood deficiency - vaginal disharge, vaginal itching, vaginal inflammation along with constipation, possibly anemia, low back pain, and/or abdominal pain. Leukorrhea may be yellow, white or red.
- Gonorrhea, syphilis.
Dan Gui Yin Zi (Tangkuei Decoction)
- Exterior wind skin conditions with underlying blood deficiency - eczema (particularly dry and flaky), hives (urticaria), neurodermatitis, psoriasis, dry skin, itchy skin that is generally worse at night.
- Anemia generally, particularly when associated with related skin issues.
- Avoid alcohol and spicy, greasy, fried, and/or fatty foods while taking.
Fu Fang Qing Dai Wan (Indigo Combo Pills)
- Itching, rashes, general skin irritation especially of the type that moves around or is intermittent.
- Insect bites, allergic contact dermatitis, poison ivy/oak/sumac, sun burn.
- Do not use for damp heat skin conditions such as boils or carbuncle.
Gui Zhi Tang Wan (Cinnamon Twig Decoction)
- Gan Mao (wind-cold) - Common cold or flu (or related illnesses, asthma, rhinitis, etc.) presenting with fever and chills (unrelieved by sweating), headache, aversion to wind, no desire for fluids, dry cough, sore throat.
- Pain from cold - may manifest in the joints, sciatic pain, neuralgia.
- Some skin conditions that are worse with cold and tend to be dry and itchy.
- Potentially useful post-partum (for colds or fevers) to strengthen the exterior (wei qi).
Xiao Feng Wan (Clear Wind Pill)
- Itchy and red skin lesions, possibly with weeping -psoriasis, eczema, acne, etc.
- Topical allergic response, dermatitis -poison ivy, oak, sumac.
- Acute [allergic] edema in the limbs.
- Use with caution with patients that present with yin and or blood deficiency.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about itching? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Nasal polyps by using sanitizer
- lymphatic benign tumor
- Auto immune disease- Pemphigus vulgaris
- bechet's disease
- Fibrosis Pulmonary
- Vagul Nervous system.
- Question about Shipping to EU
- Shen Tong Zhu Yu Availability
- Help for PoTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
- acupuncture used to decrease opioids in bariatric surgery