Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Knee Pain
What Is Knee Pain?
Knee Pain - Basics
Knee pain can be the result of several factors, including injury, disease or the gradual wearing down of the joint. It can occur in the joint itself, the tendons that cushion the joint or any of the numerous supporting muscles and tissues. The disease most commonly associated with knee and joint pain is arthritis. A type of rheumatic disease, arthritis causes stiffness and pain in the joints, and may be accompanied by inflammation, redness and swelling. Other common causes of knee pain include tendinitis (inflammation of a tendon in the joint), a torn meniscus or ligament, and sprain.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Knee Pain.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Knee Pain Is Discussed
- Massage Therapy Benefits for Endurance Athletes
- What Does Acupuncture Treat? Or Treating The “Cause” And Not The “Symptoms”...
- How Does Acupuncture Work?
- My Liver is What?
- Sleep Links To Blood Pressure - Theory and Acupuncture Treatment of Insomnia and Hypertension
- Japanese Acupuncture Hinaishin Needle Techniques and Orthopedic Care
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Finds Acupuncture Equal in Effectiveness to Ambien (Zolpidem) For Insomnia
- Study Recommends Acupuncture to Improve Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer Patients
- Auricular and Body Acupuncture Both Lower Preoperative Anxiety
- Acupuncture Improves Neural Function in Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion Rat Model (Stroke Study)
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Knee Pain?
Knee Pain - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for knee pain that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with knee pain:
11 Points Are Empirically Important For Knee Pain
8 TCM Herbs Are Potentially Used With Knee Pain
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Knee Pain
The Following (8)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Knee Pain
Fang Ji Huang Qi Wan (Stephania and Astragalus Teapills)
- Wind damp / wind edema (feng shui, literally "wind water") patterns, generally acute - heavy sensation of the body, superficial edema, difficulty with urination - idiopathic edema, ascites.
- Weak wei qi - frequent colds, flus.
- Wind damp bi syndromes (osteoarthritis or rheumatoid, swelling, edema), particularly of the knees.
- Idiopathic sweating issues (weak exterior and weak spleen).
- Bone fractures with the right underlying issues, generally associated with damp bi.
- Weight loss with deficiency signs (weak appetite, heavy sensation of body).
Huang Qi Gui Zhi Wu Wu Wan (Astragalus and Cinnamon Twig Five Herb Decoction)
- Common with blood deficient patterns for dispersing interior cold, xue bi, (blood painful obstruction), generally manifesting as numbness of the extremities. With the appropriate underlying patterns - shoulder pain, neck pain, knee pain.
- Diabetic neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, polyneuropathy, conditions such as raynaud's with the right underlying factors, frostbite.
- Facial paralysis, post-stroke recovery.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Certain cardiovascular issues, heart disease.
Shen Tong Zhu Yu Wan (Remove Stagnant Blood from a Painful Body Pills)
- Qi and Blood stagnation blocking the channels and collaterals - pain in the extremities, shoulder pain, elbow pain, leg pain.
- With the right underlying patterns - possibly useful for fibromyalgia, complex regional pain syndrome, etc.
- Arthritic conditions - rheumatoid, neuralgia.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
Shu Jing Huo Xue Wan (Relax The Channels and Invigorate The Blood Decoction)
- Primarily used for blood stasis with wind-damp in the channels and collaterals characterized by internal deficiency with external excesses - joint pain, muscle aches, numbness and/or pain in the lower extremities (may be severe).
- Wind-cold damp bi-syndrome (i.e. arthritis) - particularly in the lower part of the body, hips, knees, lower back.
- Sciatic pain with the correct underlying pattern.
- Neck pain with the correct underling pattern.
- Fractures that are reluctant to heal, particularly in the lower body.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Generally not for long term use and use with caution if at all in deficient patients.
Xi Guan Jie Bi Tong Wan (Knee Joint Pain Relief)
- Arthritis from damp heat in Chinese Medicine terms.
- Knee issues with kidney and liver systems involvement.
- Lower body pain and/or inflammation - hips, knees, ankles, toes especially when the pain moves around due to interior wind.
- Connective tissue disorders.
Yan Hu Suo Zhi Tong Wan (Corydalis Powder)
- Pain of all types from qi and blood stagnation - often combined with other more systemic formulas based on the individual. Pain and inflammation from acute trauma, generalized aches and pains or more chronic issues. The formula has an analgesic affect on pain and is mild enough to be used for chronic conditions.
- As it disperses wind-cold, also useful for muscle aches with the common cold.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
Zhuang Gu Guan Jie Wan (Invigorate Bone and Joint Pills)
- Damp and Cold bi-syndromes - arthritis (osteo primarily), joint pain, muscles aches that is aggravated with cold and/or damp weather - weakness of the knee, pain in lower back, general weakness, pain in joints, stiffness of joints, and pain that moves around.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about knee pain? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Nasal polyps by using sanitizer
- lymphatic benign tumor
- Auto immune disease- Pemphigus vulgaris
- bechet's disease
- Fibrosis Pulmonary
- Vagul Nervous system.
- Question about Shipping to EU
- Shen Tong Zhu Yu Availability
- Help for PoTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
- acupuncture used to decrease opioids in bariatric surgery