Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Manic Depression
What Is Manic Depression?
Manic Depression - Basics
Manic Depression is a mood disorder characterized by long periods of manic behavior, after which an individual returns to a normal state. Unlike bi-polar disorder, people with manic depression do not typically experience periods of depression. When not in a manic state, an individual with manic depression can be a normal, functioning person with a stable work and family life. However, when in a manic state, he or she may experience feelings of elation and invincibility, unrealistic belief in one's abilities, participation in high-risk endeavors or behaviors, lack of sleep, tendency to speak rapidly, and other symptoms.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Manic Depression.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Manic Depression Is Discussed
- Abdominal Acupuncture for Neck Pain - Zhiyun Bo Techniques (Study)
- TCM Formula Gan Mai Da Zao Wan Found Effective for "Several" Mental Health Issues
- My Heart Is What? Summertime, Heat and Joy...
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Finds Chinese Herbal Formula Yin Chen Hao Tang Protects Liver From Cholestatic Damage
- Pulse Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine - Starting A Modern Scientific Method
- Acupuncture Useful for Gouty Arthritis
- Study Finds Yin Qiao Helpful and Safe for Children To Drop Fever
- Study Illustrates How Electroacupuncture Promotes Healing Of A Bruised Calf Muscle
- Study Shows Preventive Acupuncture Better for Dysmenorrhea (Cramps/Painful Menstruation)
- Study Finds Fructus Schisandra Chinensis (Wu Wei Zi) Useful for Cholesterol Reduction
Which Acupuncture Point Protocols May Be Applied For Manic Depression?
Manic Depression - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following acupuncture treatment protocols may be used with manic depression:
22 Points Are Empirically Important For Manic Depression
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Manic Depression
The Following (3)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Manic Depression
Bu Nao Wan (Brain Supplementing Pills)
- A range of psychiatric, cognitive decline, trauma issues - benefit and clears the brain, transforms phlegm and tonifies kidney qi and the blood.
- Often used for both general cognitive decline/dementia, disorientation, etc. - but also useful when mixed with more anxiety, insomnia and/or emotional outbursts from confusion.
- Generally, particularly when deficiency and phlegm exist for anxiety, insomnia, dream disturbed sleep, manic states.
Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Wan (Bupleurum, Dragon Bone, and Oyster Shell Formula)
- Palpitations, anxiety, restlessness, agitation/irritibility, and insomnia from heat due to liver yang or fire.
- Mental disorders such as including biopolar and schizophrenia resulting from distrubed shen.
- Symptoms of addiction recovery: cravings, anxiety, mood swings etc.
Gan Mai Da Zao Wan (Licorice, Wheat, and Jujube Formula)
- Anxiety/depression/manic issues with a tendency towards losing self-control (crying fits, excessive yawning, etc.) that result from the combination of heart yin deficiency and liver qi stagnation.
- Insomnia, possibly with vivid dreaming and heart palpitations.
- Post-partum depression and milder symptoms of menopause.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about manic depression? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Feeling helpless and clueless
- itching around parametees of the fingers
- Herbs for Gallbladder
- Persistent Eye swelling
- Points for dry skin
- Inflammed cracked calloused feet
- Hot and full ears
- Swelling face, low blood pressure and hemoroid
- Gynecomastia treatment
- Shiatsu for Lymphedema on left leg + varicose veins