Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Tuina (Chinese Medical Massage) May Improve Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Insights Into How Acupuncture Works - Brachial Artery Changes From Acupuncture
- Single Acupuncture Point Found To Suppress Methamphetamine Usage
- You Gui Wan Herbal Formula May Offer Alternative to Hormone Replacement Therapy After Oophorectomy
- Do Men and Women Respond Differently To Acupuncture? And What Does It Mean?
- Tai Chi Found Helpful for Insomnia / Sleep Issues in Older Adults
- Acupuncture Outperforms Flunarizine for Migraine Prevention
- Exploring the "how" of acupuncture - infrared radiation spectrum to illustrate point activity
- Acupuncture effective for Temporomandibular Disorders
- Acupuncture Anesthesia Research
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)?
Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding) - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding) that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding):
10 Points Are Empirically Important For Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)
1 TCM Herb Are Potentially Used With Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)
The Following (4)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)
Dang Gui Wan (Tangkuei Powder)
- For recovery of qi and blood after acute trauma or accident, similar in usage to ba zhen wan.
- A range of menstrual issues when they arise from qi and blood deficiency - amenorrhea, menorrhagia, irregular cycles - also related fertility issues.
- For pregnancy with the right diagnostic factors for habitual miscarriage, unstable pregnancy - as well as aiding with difficult labor and post-partum deficiencies such as weakness, anemia, and/or insufficient lactation.
- Weakness and deficiencies from qi and blood deficiency generally - strong fatigue, orthostatic hypotension, anemia, floaters.
- Any of the above issues may arise from malnutrition and/or eating disorder issues for which this formula may be supportive.
- Vertigo/dizziness, possibly with anxiety and/or palpitations from blood deficiency.
Huang Lian Jie Du Wan (Coptis Decoction To Relieve Toxicity)
- Clears fire toxins (damp heat, toxic heat, fire) from all three jiaos - formula has an antibiotic function which has a broad range of uses in conditions arising from damp heat in the body. Acute bacterial infections, dystentary, fever (of unknown origin), acute bronchitis, acute conjunctivitis, UTI.
- Hypertension when it arises from fire/toxic heat.
- A range of skin issues - boils, acne, mastitis, pyogenic skin infections, gingivitis.
- Disorders of the middle jiao - hepatitis (particularly acute infectious), jaundice, H-pylori, gastritis.
- Arrest bleeding in reckless bleeding from heat.
- Gu syndrome conditions with the right underyling factors - IBS, Lyme, other inflammatory conditions.
- Generally only used for acute situations, rarely taken for longer than 15-20 days. For longer use watch for signs of damage to the spleen system in TCM terms.
- Avoid in patients with Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency. G6PD is an inherited condition usually occurring in males, more commonly in those of African and Mediterranean descent. Triggers include infections, stress, fava beans, aspirin, and other drugs. When symptoms are triggered, they include fever, dark urine, abdominal and back pain, fatigue, and pale skin. Most people recover in a few days without treatment, but avoiding relapses is important.
Qing Shu Yi Qi Tang Wan (Clear Summer Heat and Augment the Qi)
- Please note that there are two formulas with the same name but slightly different compositions. One is from Wang's Wen Re Jing Wei and tonifies the yin more strongly, the other (which is the one discussed here) is from Li's Pi Wei Lun (Discussion of the Spleen and Stomach) and tonifies the spleen more strongly. Both have similar usages but are not directly interchangeable.
- Clears summerheat and dries dampness - summer colds and flus, heatstroke - fever, fatigue, excessive sweating with loose stools and heaviness in the body.
- Along with respiratory infections in the right cases certain types of asthma may be appropriate for this formula.
- Dampheat related inflammatory condtions such as Colitis are approprirate with the right underlying factors.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with symptoms of spleen deficiency and heat.
- Wtih the right underlying factors the range of perimenopausal symptoms may be appropriate - low libido, fatigue, water retention, fibroids, heavy cycles. Where this appear with spleen qi deficiency signs and kidney weakness, this formula may be appropriate.
Yunnan Baiyao (White Powder From Yun Nan)
- A very important formula to stop bleeding (generally from any cause) in Chinese Medicine. Can be used topically and orally and comes in two primary formats (capsules and powder vials). It is used in households around the world for general traumas, but also in the Chinese military for gun shut wounds and other significant traumas to the body. May be used in the right situations for gynecological issues such as menorrhagia, retention of the placenta, etc.
- Used in humans and animals for bleeding from cancer and other internal tumors.
- Generally speeds healing of trauma, can be supportive for those undergoing surgery.
- Note that the powder vials often contain a red pill at the very top of the bottle - this is generally only used if you are going into shock or someone is in shock - the contents are an undisclosed Chinese military secret as yunnan baiyao is only made from one manufacturer in the world and is a state-sponsored formula.
- Do not use if pregnant.
- Generally should not be used long-term.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding)? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums