Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Neuropathy
What Is Neuropathy?
Neuropathy - Basics
Neuropathy is a condition in which the peripheral nervous system becomes damaged, and distorts messages from the brain to the rest of the body. Because each peripheral nerve has a specific function, symptoms of neuropathy can vary depending on the affected area of the nervous system. Some symptoms include muscle weakness, a tingling sensation or numbness (paresthesia), involuntary muscle spasms, muscle loss, bone degeneration, and sensitivity to touch.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Neuropathy.
What Patterns Are Related To Neuropathy?
Neuropathy - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of neuropathy generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of neuropathy:Blood StagnationLung Dampness - Phlegm ColdLung Wind Invasion - Wind ColdLung Wind Invasion - Wind Heat
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Neuropathy Is Discussed
- Multiple Myeloma Maintained with Chinese Herbal Medicine Treatment Alone (Case Study)
- Acupuncture Provides Neuroprotective Effects Against Vascular Dementia
- Acupuncture with Metformin for Diabetes and Obesity Better Than Metformin Alone (Study)
- Tai Chi Found To Reduce Fatigue in Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
- Bu Zhong Yi Qi Wan - Why It Helps With Chemo Related Fatigue? (Study)
- Tai Chi Shown To Be Helpful In Alleviating Type 2 Diabetes with Neuropathy
- Tai Chi Shows Health Benefits for Cancer Patients (Post-Treatment)
- Complications of Diabetes and Fostering Lifestyle Change
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- The Science Behind Lymphatic Massage
- Forbidden Points in Pregnancy - Perhaps Not So Forbidden...
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Neuropathy
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Neuropathy
Huang Qi Gui Zhi Wu Wu Wan (Astragalus and Cinnamon Twig Five Herb Decoction)
- Common with blood deficient patterns for dispersing interior cold, xue bi, (blood painful obstruction), generally manifesting as numbness of the extremities. With the appropriate underlying patterns - shoulder pain, neck pain, knee pain.
- Diabetic neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, polyneuropathy, conditions such as raynaud's with the right underlying factors, frostbite.
- Facial paralysis, post-stroke recovery.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Certain cardiovascular issues, heart disease.
Shu Jing Huo Xue Wan (Relax The Channels and Invigorate The Blood Decoction)
- Primarily used for blood stasis with wind-damp in the channels and collaterals characterized by internal deficiency with external excesses - joint pain, muscle aches, numbness and/or pain in the lower extremities (may be severe).
- Wind-cold damp bi-syndrome (i.e. arthritis) - particularly in the lower part of the body, hips, knees, lower back.
- Sciatic pain with the correct underlying pattern.
- Neck pain with the correct underling pattern.
- Fractures that are reluctant to heal, particularly in the lower body.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Generally not for long term use and use with caution if at all in deficient patients.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about neuropathy? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Inflammed cracked calloused feet
- Hot and full ears
- Swelling face, low blood pressure and hemoroid
- Gynecomastia treatment
- Shiatsu for Lymphedema on left leg + varicose veins
- Intestinal problem
- Orthostatic hypotension
- Tooth Infection
- What type of treatment works best for the lymphatic system?
- Gastroisofagial reflux