Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Postpartum Depression
What Is Postpartum Depression?
Postpartum Depression - Basics
Postpartum depression occurs when a new mother experiences fatigue, restlessness, anxiety and feelings of worthlessness following childbirth. In 50 to 80 percent of new mothers, it is common to experience the baby blues, a short-term condition characterized by mood swings, difficulty sleeping and/or eating, and mild depression. However, women with postpartum depression wrestle with feelings of worthlessness, anxiety, guilt and depression. This condition also causes drops in energy and motivation, unexplained weight loss or gain, difficulty sleeping, and in some mothers, concern over hurting herself or her baby.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Postpartum Depression.
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Postpartum Depression
Si Wu Tang Wan (Four Substances Pills)
- The primary base formula for tonifying the blood and regulating menstruation in Chinese Medicine terms - irregular cycles, amenorrhea or long cycles.
- Postpartum issues such as uterine bleeding when arising from blood deficiency.
- General blood deficiency symptoms - dry skin, dry eyes, dry hair, anemia, calf cramping. Certain version of dermatitis, psoriasis and other skin conditions - diabetic ulcers, etc.
- With the right underlying factors threatened miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy.
- Fertility issues, endometriosis.
- Avoid during the early phases of a cold or flu.
Xiao Yao Wan (Free and Easy Wanderer)
- Depression, anxiety, loss of motivation - resulting from liver qi stagnation.
- Fatigue, bloating, changes in appetite from the combination of spleen qi deficiency with liver qi stagnation.
- PMS, breast distention, irregular menstruation and in some cases infertility.
- Use with caution during pregnancy.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about postpartum depression? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums