Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Raynaud's Disease
What Is Raynaud's Disease?
Raynaud's Disease - Basics
Raynaud's Disease is a disorder that causes the arteries to constrict for brief periods, limiting blood flow to the extremities—typically the fingers or toes. These "attacks" can be brought on by emotional stress or exposure to cold temperatures, and last anywhere from less than a minute to many hours. During a Raynaud's attack, little to no blood flows to the affected area, causing the skin to turn pale and the affected area to feel cold or numb. As blood flow returns, the skin may turn red and feel a burning or throbbing sensation. In rare, severe cases of Raynaud's disease, the artery constriction can lead to tissue decay, or gangrene.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Raynaud's Disease.
What Patterns Are Related To Raynaud's Disease?
Raynaud's Disease - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of raynaud's disease generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of raynaud's disease:Blood StagnationLiver Blood StagnationLiver Qi StagnationLiver and Gallbladder Damp Heat
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Finds Acupuncture Effective and Safer for PCOS than Metformin
- Animal Study Shows Promise for TCM Herbal Treatment of Diabetes (Yi Qi Zeng Min Tang)
- Ren Shen Yang Rong Wan Found Effective for Post Cancer Fatigue
- Acupuncture Back Shu Points Found Effective for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Acupuncture for Tinnitus - Study Shows Positive Results
- Acupuncture for Insomnia - Mechanisms Explored
- Study Finds Red Yeast Rice Lowers Risk Of Developing Diabetes
- Meta-Analysis Finds Acupuncture with Moxibustion Most Effective Treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Acupuncture Integration Into Mainstream Healthcare in Australia
- Tuina (Chinese Medical Massage) May Improve Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Raynaud's Disease?
Raynaud's Disease - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for raynaud's disease that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with raynaud's disease:
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Raynaud's Disease
The Following (3)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Raynaud's Disease
Bu Yang Huan Wu Wan (Tonify Yang To Restore Five Tenths Decoction)
- Post-stroke recovery when stasis is from qi and yang deficiency - post-stroke symptoms, paralysis, atrophy of the limbs, drooling, slurred speech, etc.
- Other potential uses with the correct underlying diagnosis in any blood stasis patients - MS, raynauds, ALS, etc.
- Avoid in pregnancy. See staff clinician notes for more details on proper usage.
Huang Qi Gui Zhi Wu Wu Wan (Astragalus and Cinnamon Twig Five Herb Decoction)
- Common with blood deficient patterns for dispersing interior cold, xue bi, (blood painful obstruction), generally manifesting as numbness of the extremities. With the appropriate underlying patterns - shoulder pain, neck pain, knee pain.
- Diabetic neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, polyneuropathy, conditions such as raynaud's with the right underlying factors, frostbite.
- Facial paralysis, post-stroke recovery.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Certain cardiovascular issues, heart disease.
Ren Shen Yang Rong Wan (Ginseng Decoction to Nourish the Nutritive Qi)
- Tonifies both qi and blood and nourishes the heart and calms the spirit - generally used for weakness from longer term or deep diseases such as cancer and for a host of other conditions affecting a broad range of the body and psyche such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and autoimmune conditions such as Lupus, Scleroderma, MCTD.
- May be used alone or in conjunction with a formula such as yu ping feng wan to enhance immunity - particularly in patients with frequent colds and flus.
- Raynaud's condition in addition to the other connective tissue issues listed above.
- Micturition syncope, nephritis, cancers of the genitourinary tract.
- Male infertility, possibly with Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan, for sperm volume and motility issues.
- Along with other immune benefits, hepatitis C.
- Lung cancer.
- Use with caution or seek an alternative in deficiency cases with very pronounced sensations of coldness. Part of this is due to the relatively neutral (i.e. non warming) aspects of this formula.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about raynaud's disease? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Blood stasis in uterus and legs / herbal formula
- recurring boils
- Female senior , Ovaries , as / if related to Brain Health
- Im an acupuncture student
- Meridian Pen / Electronic Acupoint Massager with Laser/ Electronic Acupuncture Tendon Retractor Rod
- Cold and Thirst at night
- My Spleen is Weak
- Excess body heat
- Help with Covid Symptoms
- Help for Nasal Polyps