Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
What Is Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) - Basics
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) is a brain disorder that causes uncomfortable tingling or burning sensations in the legs while at rest. The condition is also characterized by a strong urge to move the legs in an effort to alleviate the sensation, which can range in severity from mild to painful. Because the symptoms of RLS appear when an individual is resting, it is common to experience fatigue and difficulty sleeping, if untreated. Several situations can trigger RLS symptoms, such as a long car ride, long-distance air travel, sitting through a film or relaxation.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS).
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Acupuncture Shown To Be More Cost Effective, and Effective Overall, than NSAIDS for Chronic Low Back Pain
- Study Finds Long Term Tai Chi Practice Keeps You Smart
- Acupuncture for Tinnitus - Study Shows Positive Results
- Plum Blossom Needling and Cupping for Facial Palsy/Bell's Palsy Superior to Laser Irradiation
- Increase Your Green Tea Consumption - May Keep Liver Cancer At Bay
- Rhinitis Study Finds Yu Ping Feng Wan with Western Treatment Far Superior to Western Treatment Alone
- Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial Finds Acupuncture Superior to Medication for Treatment of Migraines
- Tai Chi for Diabetes
- Study Finds Using the Five Liver Shu Points Effective for Depression
- Study Finds Tai Chi Reduces Depression and Anxiety Symptoms
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for restless legs syndrome (rls) that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with restless legs syndrome (rls):
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
The Following (3)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
Ba Zhen Wan (Eight Treasure Combination)
- For recovery of qi and blood after acute trauma or accident
- For frequent heavy menstrual cycles
- Pale complexion, fatigue, dizziness from qi deficiency
- Vertigo, palpitations, anxiety from blood deficiency
- Do not confuse with Ba Zheng Wan - which is a clearing formula.
Dang Gui Wan (Tangkuei Powder)
- For recovery of qi and blood after acute trauma or accident, similar in usage to ba zhen wan.
- A range of menstrual issues when they arise from qi and blood deficiency - amenorrhea, menorrhagia, irregular cycles - also related fertility issues.
- For pregnancy with the right diagnostic factors for habitual miscarriage, unstable pregnancy - as well as aiding with difficult labor and post-partum deficiencies such as weakness, anemia, and/or insufficient lactation.
- Weakness and deficiencies from qi and blood deficiency generally - strong fatigue, orthostatic hypotension, anemia, floaters.
- Any of the above issues may arise from malnutrition and/or eating disorder issues for which this formula may be supportive.
- Vertigo/dizziness, possibly with anxiety and/or palpitations from blood deficiency.
Huang Qi Gui Zhi Wu Wu Wan (Astragalus and Cinnamon Twig Five Herb Decoction)
- Common with blood deficient patterns for dispersing interior cold, xue bi, (blood painful obstruction), generally manifesting as numbness of the extremities. With the appropriate underlying patterns - shoulder pain, neck pain, knee pain.
- Diabetic neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, polyneuropathy, conditions such as raynaud's with the right underlying factors, frostbite.
- Facial paralysis, post-stroke recovery.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Certain cardiovascular issues, heart disease.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about restless legs syndrome (rls)? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums