Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
What Is Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) - Basics
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) is a brain disorder that causes uncomfortable tingling or burning sensations in the legs while at rest. The condition is also characterized by a strong urge to move the legs in an effort to alleviate the sensation, which can range in severity from mild to painful. Because the symptoms of RLS appear when an individual is resting, it is common to experience fatigue and difficulty sleeping, if untreated. Several situations can trigger RLS symptoms, such as a long car ride, long-distance air travel, sitting through a film or relaxation.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS).
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)?
Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS) - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for restless legs syndrome (rls) that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with restless legs syndrome (rls):
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
Ba Zhen Wan (Eight Treasure Combination)
- For recovery of qi and blood after acute trauma or accident
- For frequent heavy menstrual cycles
- Pale complexion, fatigue, dizziness from qi deficiency
- Vertigo, palpitations, anxiety from blood deficiency
- Do not confuse with Ba Zheng Wan - which is a clearing formula.
Huang Qi Gui Zhi Wu Wu Wan (Astragalus and Cinnamon Twig Five Herb Decoction)
- Common with blood deficient patterns for dispersing interior cold, xue bi, (blood painful obstruction), generally manifesting as numbness of the extremities. With the appropriate underlying patterns - shoulder pain, neck pain, knee pain.
- Diabetic neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, polyneuropathy, conditions such as raynaud's with the right underlying factors, frostbite.
- Facial paralysis, post-stroke recovery.
- Restless leg syndrome.
- Certain cardiovascular issues, heart disease.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about restless legs syndrome (rls)? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums