Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Sore Throat
What Is Sore Throat?
Sore Throat - Basics
A sore throat is characterized by scratchiness, pain and/or tenderness. It is commonly one of the early symptoms of the common cold or another type of viral infection; however, it can be the result of seasonal allergies, flu, breathing in cold air, mouth breathing, strep throat or an obstruction.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for sore throat.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Sore Throat Is Discussed
- Meta-Analysis Finds Acupuncture with Moxibustion Most Effective Treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Study Finds Yin Qiao Helpful and Safe for Children To Drop Fever
- Arm and Hand Acupressure Points
- Chinese Herbal Formulas and Self-Help Acupressure for Colds and Flus - Yin Qiao, Gan Mao Ling, ...
- My Heart Is What? Summertime, Heat and Joy...
- Self-Help, Acupressure, and Acupuncture for Seasonal Allergy Relief
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Your Own Saliva Better For Wound Healing Than Yunnan Baiyao Alone
- Lavender Oil Massage Helpful for Infantile Colic
- Study Shows Preventive Acupuncture Better for Dysmenorrhea (Cramps/Painful Menstruation)
- Study Finds Long Term Tai Chi Practice Keeps You Smart
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Sore Throat?
Sore Throat - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for sore throat that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with sore throat:
25 Points Are Empirically Important For Sore Throat
15 TCM Herbs Are Potentially Used With Sore Throat
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Sore Throat
The Following (7)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Sore Throat
Bai He Gu Jin Wan (Lily Bulb to Preserve the Metal)
- General yin deficiency signs may present as night sweats, heat in the soles and palms, and flusing.
- Cough/wheezing, possible blood in the sputum, dry and sore throat may present from lung yin and qi deficiency.
- Useful for treating people who quit smoking or those with acute smoke exposure.
Huang Lian Shang Qing Wan (Coptis Clearance Pill)
- Dispels wind heat, clear toxic heat - generally used short-term for inflammatory conditions of the face, mouth, head - sore throat, conjunctivitis, acne, swollen gums.
- Can be a supportive formula for liver fire conditions resulting in headache, tinnitus, dizziness, vertigo.
- A range of yang ming heat issues - constipation, halitosis, gingivitis.
Liu Wei Di Huang Wan (Six Ingredient Pill with Rehmannia)
- Dizziness, tinnitus, possibly vertigo as a result of kidney and liver yin deficiency.
- Insomnia especially with night sweats, hot flashes, irritibility.
- Spontaneous/nocturnal emissions.
- Use with caution in patients that present with spleen qi deficiency.
Mai Men Dong Yin Zi Wan (Ophiopogon and Trichosanthes Combination)
- Lung and stomach yin deficiency - this is a modified version of Mai Men Dong Tang - fei wei (lung atrophy) syndrome in Chinese Medicine - dry cough from yin fluid damage, generally arises from deficiency fire rising from the stomach yin deficiency.
- A range of digestive issues - nausea, vomiting, counterflow qi, gastritis, peptic ulcer disease.
- Acute or chronic lung issues - bronchitis, dry cough - particularly with other yin deficiency signs (malar flush, heat in the five palms, etc.)
- Sjogren's syndrome - when other underlying diagnostic factors are a good fit.
Qing Qi Hua Tan Wan (Clear the Qi and Transform Phlegm Pill)
- Cough with thick yellow or green phlegm, difficulty breathing, wheezing, and possible fullness of the chest due to damp heat accumulation in the lungs.
Sha Shen Mai Dong Wan (Glehnia and Ophiopogonis Decoction)
- Important formula for stomach yin deficiency - benefits the stomach and the lungs - a range of digestive issues (gastritis, epigastric pain), possibly with dry throat, thirst and/or cough.
- Diabetes - particularly with signs of dryness.
- A range of lung related issues - lung cancer, pneumonia, cough/wheezing.
Xiang Yin Wan (Golden Voice Pills)
- Benefits the yin and qi of the lungs, clears heat and wind - acute and/or chronic throat and/or voice issues from overuse, illness, smoking, etc. Symptoms may include difficulty speaking, hoarseness/raspy voice, sore throat.
- This formula may be used to treat polyps/nodules of the vocal cords, laryngitis, sore throat, and other vocal problems due to overuse when the underlying patterns fit.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about sore throat? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums