Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)
What Is Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)?
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) - Basics
Temporomandibular Joint Disorders are a group of conditions that cause pain and limited movement in the jaw joint and/or surrounding muscles. The temporomandibular joint connects the lower jaw, called the mandible, to the temporal bone, located at the side of the head. TMJ dysfunction can cause pain in the jaw, face and/or neck; inflammation of the tissues surrounding the jaw; clicking or popping action of the jaw when opening or closing the mouth; jaw stiffness; locking of the jaw and others. TMJ can be a secondary condition to other medical issues such as rheumatoid arthritis or fibromyalgia.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Temporomandibular Joint Disorder.
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Study Shows Preventive Acupuncture Better for Dysmenorrhea (Cramps/Painful Menstruation)
- Ye Gu Herb (Aeginetia Indica) Found To Have Anti-Cancer Benefits in Kidney/Renal Cancer Disease
- Study Explores Anti-Asthmatic Effects Of Moxibustion
- Tai Chi Shown To Be Helpful In Alleviating Type 2 Diabetes with Neuropathy
- Looking at the unwell can make you well...
- Tai Chi Found To Slow Early Parkinson's Progression Delaying Need For Levodopa
- Individualized Acupuncture Found Beneficial for Gulf War Illness (Study)
- Get That Baby Out! - with acupressure... at home... (Study)
- Chinese Herbal Formula Creates Metabolic Changes in Brains of Patients with Alzheimers Disease
- Superficial Japanese Style Needling Compared with TCM Style Electro Acupuncture
Which Acupuncture Point Protocols May Be Applied For Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)?
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following acupuncture treatment protocols may be used with temporomandibular joint disorder (tmj):
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)?
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for temporomandibular joint disorder (tmj) that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with temporomandibular joint disorder (tmj):
8 Points Are Empirically Important For Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about temporomandibular joint disorder (tmj)? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums