Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Trigeminal Neuralgia
What Is Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Basics
Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN) occurs when a blood vessel applies pressure to the trigeminal nerve, which spans the face. Characterized by episodes of pain lasting from days to months, Trigeminal neuralgia produces intense flashes of pain that can be triggered by contact with wind, talking, shaving, brushing the teeth, eating, applying makeup and other tasks that involve contact with the cheek area. These flashes, or attacks, can last for a few moments and occur throughout the day with pain appearing in an isolated area of the face or radiating to other regions of the nerve. These episodes are generally tempered by periods when the individual experiences no pain, however as time progresses, these pain episodes become longer with shorter periods of relief.
Below you will find alternative and natural treatment options including those from a Chinese Medicine perspective for Trigeminal Neuralgia.
What Patterns Are Related To Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of trigeminal neuralgia generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of trigeminal neuralgia:Blood StagnationLiver FireLiver Yin DeficiencyLiver and Gallbladder Damp HeatLung Dampness - Phlegm ColdLung Dampness - Phlegm HeatLung Wind Invasion - Wind ColdLung Wind Invasion - Wind HeatStomach Fire
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Trigeminal Neuralgia Is Discussed
- Acupuncture Treatment Helpful for Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Acupuncture effective for Temporomandibular Disorders
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Awakening a Child From a Vegetative State with Xing Nao Kai Qiao Acupuncture
- fMRI Study Shows Brain Changes from Acupuncture
- Research Shows Acupuncture Can Benefit Both Cognitive Performance and Neural Plasticity
- Study Finds Fructus Schisandra Chinensis (Wu Wei Zi) Useful for Cholesterol Reduction
- Acupuncture Injections With Enercel May Help ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)
- Chinese Herb, Sweetflag Rhizome, Found Protective Against Alzheimer's and Neurodegeneration
- Study Finds Xiao Yao Wan Useful for Indigestion With Depression in Perimenopausal Women
- Study Recommends Acupuncture to Improve Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer Patients
Which Acupuncture Point Protocols May Be Applied For Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Acupuncture Protocols
The treatment of conditions with acupuncture can be a complicated endeavor that should only be undertaken by individuals with a deep understanding of the underlying Chinese Medicine theory (and/or whatever system being used for treatment). There are many approaches, but generally speaking few viable approaches are involved on a point to condition basis. Rather using proper diagnostic procedures the patients diagnostic pattern is ascertained and that is what is treated. The protocols listed here exemplify some of these clinical approaches.
The following acupuncture treatment protocols may be used with trigeminal neuralgia:
Which Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols Apply To Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal Neuralgia - Tam Healing and Tongren Therapy Protocols
Tong Ren Therapy is the energy healing/medical qi gong aspect of the Tam Healing System. The areas of focus for trigeminal neuralgia that we would use in Tong Ren techniques form the basis for our acupuncture treatments as well. Generally you would mix these primary points with points specific to the patients underlying TCM pattern and then our tuina (medical massage) would be largely focused on these points as well.
The following Tam healing and tong ren therapy protocols may be used with trigeminal neuralgia:
5 Points Are Empirically Important For Trigeminal Neuralgia
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Trigeminal Neuralgia
The Following (2)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Trigeminal Neuralgia
Chai Hu Gui Zhi Tang Wan (Bupleurum and Cinnamon Twig Decoction)
- A combination of gui zhi tang and xiao chai hu tang - together they work with both taiyang and shaoyang syndromes - common colds and flu, fever, chills, joint pain, nausea, abdominal/epigastric distention. Neuralgias from wind invasions - trigeminal neuralgia, frozen shoulder, etc.
- With the right underlying factors also useful for a range of middle jiao issues such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, cholecystitis, gastric ulcers, pancreatitis, appendicitis.
Xie Xin Wan (Drain the Epigastrium Formula)
Signs of damp-heat with interior clumping which may settle into the abdominal region and/or rise upward to the head. Fever, irritability, red eyes, constipation, dark urine, flushed face - middle warmer issues - jaundice, dysentery, tongue/mouth ulcers.
Pulse will be be wiry and rapid and the Tongue will be red, swollen with a yellow greasy tongue coating.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about trigeminal neuralgia? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums