Clinical Information For the Treatment Of Ulcerative Colitis
What Patterns Are Related To Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative Colitis - Diagnostic Patterns
The Chinese Medicine treatment of ulcerative colitis generally involves arriving at the appropriate TCM diagnosis or pattern. This pattern within the individual is what treatment is based on not the general condition (see treating the cause and not the symptoms).
The following patterns may represent the underlying contributing factors for the development of ulcerative colitis:Blood StagnationKidney Yang DeficiencyLiver Qi StagnationSpleen Qi DeficiencySpleen Yang DeficiencySpleen and Stomach Damp Heat
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Ulcerative Colitis Is Discussed
- Study Explores Anti-Asthmatic Effects Of Moxibustion
- Parkinson's Disease Yields To Basic Moxibustion Treatment (Study)
- Moxibustion Found To Suppress Colon Inflammation in Ulcerative Colitis
- Moxibustion Found To Improve Immune Response in Ulcerative Colitis Better Than Sulfasalazine (Azulfidine)
- Yunnan Baiyao Herbal Formula Found Helpful for Colitis / Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Blog Posts Concerning Research
- Acupuncture for Tinnitus - Study Shows Positive Results
- Study Finds Tai Chi Helpful for Parkinson's Disease
- Study Finds Acupuncture Effective for Chronic Tinnitus
- Moxibustion May Aid Crohn's Disease
- Research - Benefits of Jiang Tang Wan Herbal Formula for Diabetes with Exercise & Meta-analysis
1 Point Is Empirically Important For Ulcerative Colitis
Formulas and Products @ Our Store Associated With Ulcerative Colitis
The Following (5)Formulas TCM Herbal Formulas May Be Useful For Ulcerative Colitis
Da Huang Mu Dan Pi Wan (Rhubarb and Moutan Combination)
- Breaks up heat, moves blood stagnation and reduces swelling, release through the bowels - appendicitis, lower abdominal distension with pain, intestinal abscesses, hemorrhoids.
- Post surgical infections, particularly in the colon and/or lower warmer.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Groin pain relieved by flexing hip and without urinary difficulty (but with symptoms similar to a UTI).
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- As this formula will cause looser stools use with caution in deficient and/or elderly patients.
- Used for general appendicitis - avoid in infant appendicitis, or appendicitis with necrosis, peritonitis and/or parasites.
Huai Hua Wan (Sophora Flower Formula)
- Hemorrhoids and/or anal fissures, bleeding from the anus (fresh blood in most cases).
- Ulcerative colitis.
- Rectal polyps.
- Rectal prolapse.
- Do not use if pregnant.
- Avoid in cases of bleeding from yin deficiency.
- Not suitable for long term use.
Qing Shu Yi Qi Tang Wan (Clear Summer Heat and Augment the Qi)
- Please note that there are two formulas with the same name but slightly different compositions. One is from Wang's Wen Re Jing Wei and tonifies the yin more strongly, the other (which is the one discussed here) is from Li's Pi Wei Lun (Discussion of the Spleen and Stomach) and tonifies the spleen more strongly. Both have similar usages but are not directly interchangeable.
- Clears summerheat and dries dampness - summer colds and flus, heatstroke - fever, fatigue, excessive sweating with loose stools and heaviness in the body.
- Along with respiratory infections in the right cases certain types of asthma may be appropriate for this formula.
- Dampheat related inflammatory condtions such as Colitis are approprirate with the right underlying factors.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with symptoms of spleen deficiency and heat.
- Wtih the right underlying factors the range of perimenopausal symptoms may be appropriate - low libido, fatigue, water retention, fibroids, heavy cycles. Where this appear with spleen qi deficiency signs and kidney weakness, this formula may be appropriate.
Shao Fu Zhu Yu Wan (Abdominal Stasis Relief Pills)
- Qi and blood stagnation in the lower jiao - lower abdominal masses, fibroids, ovarian cysts, endometriosis.
- Fertility issues in both men and women with the right underlying signs - amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, irregular cycles, uterine bleeding.
- Can be used to dispel ectopic pregnancy.
- Ulcerative colitis, urinary stones.
- Avoid during pregnancy.
- Not generally applicable to heavy menstrual bleeding coming from deficiency.
Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin Wan (Immortals Formula For Sustaining Life)
- Generally for short-term use with early stage heat toxins - sores, carbuncles, boils, styes, acne. Swollen and painful skin lesions with other heat signs (chills/fever).
- Breast abscesses, mastitis.
- Uses for rheumatoid arthritis and/or psoriasis with the right underlying diagnosis.
- Internal abscesses from blood stasis.
- Generally not for long-term use.
- Use with caution with spleen qi deficiency.
- Avoid with yin fire.
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about ulcerative colitis? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums