Names Of Gan Cao
How Is Gan Cao Categorized?
Our Database Has 10 TCM Herbs In The Herbs That Tonify Qi Category
How Is Gan Cao Used Clinically?
Gan Cao Usages and Indications
- Tonifies the spleen and augments qi - spleen deficiency w/shortness of breath, fatigue, loose stools (si jun zi tong).
- Qi and/or blood deficiency w/irregular pluse or palpitations (Zhi Gan Cao Tang).
- Moistens the lungs and stops cough - heat/cold in the lungs (Ma Xing Shi Gan Tang).
- Clears heat and toxic fire (raw) - carbuncles, sores, sore throat due to fire toxin (internally or topically).
- Alleviates pain and stops spasms - abdomen or legs (Shao Yao Gan Cao Tang).
- Often used to harmonize and/or moderate characteristics of other herbs.
- Antidote for toxic substances (internally and topically).
Cautions and Contraindications
How Is Gan Cao Prepared?
Dosage and Preparation Notes For Gan Cao
- Dosage: 2-12g
Conditions Potentially Related With Gan Cao
Notes From Our Clinicians For Gan Cao
Staff Clinical Notes
- Affects all 12 meridians, but most used with the heart, lung, spleen, and stomach meridians.
- When raw it has more neutral properties, when dry-fried it is more warming.
Formulas Which Generally Contain Gan Cao
Our database contains 52 TCM Formulas where Gan Cao is generally used
- Bai He Gu Jin Wan -Lily Bulb to Preserve the Metal (Treat Dryness)
- Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Wan -Pinellia, Atractylodis and Gastrodia Combination (Treat Phlegm)
- Ban Xia Xie Xin Wan -Pinellia Drain Epigastrium Pills (Harmonize)
- Bi Yan Wan -Nose Inflammation Tablets (Treat Phlegm)
- Chen Xiang Hua Qi Wan -Aquilaria Qi Transforming Pills (Expel Dampness)
- Chu Kou Wei Wan -Chu Kou Wei Wan (Clear Heat)
- Chuan Xiong Cha Tiao Wan -Ligusticum Tea Pills (Expel Wind)
- Fang Feng Tong Sheng Wan -Ledebouriella Pills to Sagely Unblock (Release the Exterior)
- Fang Ji Huang Qi Wan -Stephania & Astragalus Teapills (Expel Dampness)
- Gan Bing Zhi Ben Wan -Liver Disease Recovery Pills (Regulate the Qi)
- Gan Mai Da Zao Wan -Licorice, Wheat, and Jujube Formula (Calm The Spirit)
- Ge Xia Zhu Yu Wan -Drive Out Blood Stasis Below The Diaphragm Decoction (Invigorate the Blood)
- Jia Wei Gui Pi Wan -Augmented Restore The Spleen Decoction (Harmonize)
- Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan -Free and Easy Wanderer Pills (Harmonize)
- Jian Pi Wan -Strengthen Spleen Pills (Reduce Food Stagnation)
- Jiao Ai Wan -Ass-Hide Gelatin and Mugwort Formula (Stop Bleeding)
- Jin Gu Die Da Wan -Tendon and Bone Injury Healing (Invigorate the Blood)
- Jing Fang Bai Du Wan -Schizonepeta and Siler Powder to Overcome Pathogenic Influences (Release the Exterior)
- Juan Bi Wan -Remove Painful Obstruction Decoction (Expel Dampness)
- Qi Xue Da Bu Wan -Nourish Qi & Blood Pills (Tonify)
- Qing Bi Wan -Clear The Nose Decoction (Release the Exterior)
- Qing Shu Yi Qi Tang Wan -Clear Summer Heat and Augment the Qi (Clear Heat)
- Sha Shen Mai Dong Wan -Glehnia and Ophiopogonis Decoction (Treat Dryness)
- Shen Ling Bai Zhu Wan -Ginseng, Poria & Atractylodes Pills (Tonify)
- Shen Tong Zhu Yu Wan -Remove Stagnant Blood from a Painful Body Pills (Invigorate the Blood)
- Shi Quan Da Bu Wan -Ten Tonics Nourishment Pills (Tonify)
- Shu Jing Huo Xue Wan -Relax The Channels and Invigorate The Blood Decoction (Invigorate the Blood)
- Su Zi Jiang Qi Wan -Perilla Fruit Pill to Direct Qi Downward (Regulate the Qi)
- Suan Zao Ren Wan -Sour Jujube Decoction (Calm The Spirit)
- Wen Jing Wan -Warm the Menses Formula (Invigorate the Blood)
- Wu Ji Bai Feng Wan -Black Chicken White Phoenix Pills (Clear Heat)
- Wu Lin San Wan -Gardenia & Hoelen Formula (Expel Dampness)
- Wu Ling San Wan -Five-Ingredient Powder with Poria (Expel Dampness)
- Xi Guan Jie Bi Tong Wan -Knee Joint Pain Relief (Expel Dampness)
- Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin Wan -Immortals Formula For Sustaining Life (Clear Heat)
- Xiang Sha Yang Wei Wan -Aucklandia Amomi Nurture Stomach Pills (Tonify)
- Xiao Feng Wan -Clear Wind Pill (Expel Wind)
- Xiao Qing Long Wan -Minor Blue Dragon Pills (Release the Exterior)
- Xin Yi Qing Fei Wan -Magnolia Flower Drink To Clear The Lungs (Release the Exterior)
- Xin Yi Wan -Magnolia Flower Powder (Release the Exterior)
- Xue Fu Zhu Yu Wan -Blood Stasis Relief Pills (Invigorate the Blood)
- Yi Zi Wan -Decoction B (Clear Heat)
- Yin Qiao Wan -Honeysuckle and Forsythia Formula (Release the Exterior)
- Yu Quan Wan -Jade Spring Pills (Treat Dryness)
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about gan cao? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
Follow, Join, and Participate
All Content Copyright © 1999-2018 Yin Yang House Inc