Names Of Gan Cao
How Is Gan Cao Categorized?
Our Database Has 10 TCM Herbs In The Herbs That Tonify Qi Category
How Is Gan Cao Used Clinically?
Gan Cao Usages and Indications
- Tonifies the spleen and augments qi - spleen deficiency w/shortness of breath, fatigue, loose stools (si jun zi tong).
- Qi and/or blood deficiency w/irregular pluse or palpitations (Zhi Gan Cao Tang).
- Moistens the lungs and stops cough - heat/cold in the lungs (Ma Xing Shi Gan Tang).
- Clears heat and toxic fire (raw) - carbuncles, sores, sore throat due to fire toxin (internally or topically).
- Alleviates pain and stops spasms - abdomen or legs (Shao Yao Gan Cao Tang).
- Often used to harmonize and/or moderate characteristics of other herbs.
- Antidote for toxic substances (internally and topically).
Cautions and Contraindications
How Is Gan Cao Prepared?
Dosage and Preparation Notes For Gan Cao
- Dosage: 2-12g
Conditions Potentially Related With Gan Cao
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Where Gan Cao Is Discussed
- TCM Formula Gan Mai Da Zao Wan Found Effective for "Several" Mental Health Issues
- Understanding How Chai Hu Shu Gan Wan Help With Depression in Epilepsy Patients (Study)
- Animal Study Shows Promise for TCM Herbal Treatment of Diabetes (Yi Qi Zeng Min Tang)
Blog Posts Concerning Herbal Medicine
- Study Finds Chinese Herbal Formula Yin Chen Hao Tang Protects Liver From Cholestatic Damage
- Leonurine (Chinese Motherwort) May Be Helpful For Stroke Recovery
- Rhinitis Study Finds Yu Ping Feng Wan with Western Treatment Far Superior to Western Treatment Alone
- Multiple Myeloma Maintained with Chinese Herbal Medicine Treatment Alone (Case Study)
- Chinese Herbal Medicines - Teas vs. Prepared Pills/Granules - Researchers Say No Clinical Differences
- You Gui Wan Herbal Formula May Offer Alternative to Hormone Replacement Therapy After Oophorectomy
- Your Own Saliva Better For Wound Healing Than Yunnan Baiyao Alone
Notes From Our Clinicians For Gan Cao
Staff Clinical Notes
- Affects all 12 meridians, but most used with the heart, lung, spleen, and stomach meridians.
- When raw it has more neutral properties, when dry-fried it is more warming.
Formulas Which Generally Contain Gan Cao
Our database contains 58 TCM Formulas where Gan Cao is generally used
- Bai He Gu Jin Wan -Lily Bulb to Preserve the Metal (Treat Dryness)
- Ban Xia Bai Zhu Tian Ma Wan -Pinellia, Atractylodis and Gastrodia Combination (Treat Phlegm)
- Ban Xia Xie Xin Wan -Pinellia Drain Epigastrium Pills (Harmonize)
- Bi Yan Wan -Nose Inflammation Tablets (Treat Phlegm)
- Chen Xiang Hua Qi Wan -Aquilaria Qi Transforming Pills (Expel Dampness)
- Chu Kou Wei Wan -Chu Kou Wei Wan (Clear Heat)
- Chuan Xiong Cha Tiao Wan -Ligusticum Tea Pills (Expel Wind)
- Ding Chuan Wan -Calm Wheezing Pills (Treat Phlegm)
- Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan -Solitary Hermit Teapills (Expel Dampness)
- Fang Feng Tong Sheng Wan -Ledebouriella Pills to Sagely Unblock (Release the Exterior)
- Fang Ji Huang Qi Wan -Stephania and Astragalus Teapills (Expel Dampness)
- Gan Bing Zhi Ben Wan -Liver Disease Recovery Pills (Regulate the Qi)
- Gan Mai Da Zao Wan -Licorice, Wheat, and Jujube Formula (Calm The Spirit)
- Gan Mao Ling -Miraculous Cold Pills (Clear Heat)
- Ge Gen Wan -Kudzu Decoction (Release the Exterior)
- Ge Xia Zhu Yu Wan -Drive Out Blood Stasis Below The Diaphragm Decoction (Invigorate the Blood)
- Jia Wei Gui Pi Wan -Augmented Restore The Spleen Decoction (Harmonize)
- Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan -Free and Easy Wanderer Pills (Harmonize)
- Jian Pi Wan -Strengthen Spleen Pills (Reduce Food Stagnation)
- Jiang Tang Wan -Lower Blood Sugar Pill (Tonify)
- Jiao Ai Wan -Ass-Hide Gelatin and Mugwort Formula (Stop Bleeding)
- Jin Gu Die Da Wan -Tendon and Bone Injury Healing (Invigorate the Blood)
- Jing Fang Bai Du Wan -Schizonepeta and Siler Powder to Overcome Pathogenic Influences (Release the Exterior)
- Juan Bi Wan -Remove Painful Obstruction Decoction (Expel Dampness)
- Mai Men Dong Yin Zi Wan -Ophiopogon and Trichosanthes Combination (Treat Dryness)
- Mu Xiang Shun Qi Wan -Saussurea Qi Promoting Pills (Expel Dampness)
- Qi Xue Da Bu Wan -Nourish Qi & Blood Pills (Tonify)
- Qing Bi Wan -Clear The Nose Decoction (Release the Exterior)
- Qing Shu Yi Qi Tang Wan -Clear Summer Heat and Augment the Qi (Clear Heat)
- Sha Shen Mai Dong Wan -Glehnia and Ophiopogonis Decoction (Treat Dryness)
- Shen Ling Bai Zhu Wan -Ginseng, Poria & Atractylodes Pills (Tonify)
- Shen Tong Zhu Yu Wan -Remove Stagnant Blood from a Painful Body Pills (Invigorate the Blood)
- Shi Quan Da Bu Wan -Ten Tonics Nourishment Pills (Tonify)
- Shu Jing Huo Xue Wan -Relax The Channels and Invigorate The Blood Decoction (Invigorate the Blood)
- Su Zi Jiang Qi Wan -Perilla Fruit Pill to Direct Qi Downward (Regulate the Qi)
- Suan Zao Ren Wan -Sour Jujube Decoction (Calm The Spirit)
- Wen Jing Wan -Warm the Menses Formula (Invigorate the Blood)
- Wu Ji Bai Feng Wan -Black Chicken White Phoenix Pills (Clear Heat)
- Wu Lin San Wan -Gardenia & Hoelen Formula (Expel Dampness)
- Xi Guan Jie Bi Tong Wan -Knee Joint Pain Relief (Expel Dampness)
- Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin Wan -Immortals Formula For Sustaining Life (Clear Heat)
- Xiang Sha Yang Wei Wan -Aucklandia Amomi Nurture Stomach Pills (Tonify)
- Xiang Yin Wan -Golden Voice Pills (Tonify)
- Xiao Feng Wan -Clear Wind Pill (Expel Wind)
- Xiao Qing Long Wan -Minor Blue Dragon Pills (Release the Exterior)
- Xin Yi Qing Fei Wan -Magnolia Flower Drink To Clear The Lungs (Release the Exterior)
- Xin Yi Wan -Magnolia Flower Powder (Release the Exterior)
- Xue Fu Zhu Yu Wan -Blood Stasis Relief Pills (Invigorate the Blood)
- Yi Zi Wan -Decoction B (Clear Heat)
- Yin Qiao Wan -Honeysuckle and Forsythia Formula (Release the Exterior)
- Yu Quan Wan -Jade Spring Pills (Treat Dryness)
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about gan cao? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Interaction with Simvastatin 40 mg - Te Xiao Bi Min Gan Wan
- Can you please let me know how to treat the Gynacomastia issues
- Please suggest Accupuncture points for ring worm
- Venous prolapse will call heavy legs in tcm terms
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Urethrocele in Water CF
- Bells palsy herbs
- Numbness throughout entire body
- Removing Blockages
- acupuncture points for hair loss
Follow, Join, and Participate
Join Our Email List (3-5 email updates/yr)
All Content Copyright © 1999-2019 Yin Yang House Inc