- Clears heat, drains fire, especially from the upper warmer - heat patterns with fever, irritability, thirst, cough, thick, yellow sputum, hot sores and swellings.
- Clears heat, dries dampness - damp-heat in the stomach or intestines, diarrhea, dysentery; damp warm-febrile disease with fever, stifling sensation in the chest, thirst with no desire to drink; damp-heat in the lower jiao - lin syndrome; damp-heat jaundice.
- Clears heat, stops bleeding - vomiting and/or coughing of blood, nosebleed, blood in the stool.
- Clears heat, calms the fetus - restless fetus due to heat.
- Sedates liver yang rising - headache, irritability, red eyes, bitter taste, flushed face.
Used for heat that is lodged in the chest affecting all yang stages, also for phlegm in the liver/gall bladder. Generally used for a range of psychological conditions, aiding with drug withdrawal and related issues. Symptoms include chest oppression, anxiety, irratiblity, palpitations, excessive/delirious speech, heavy sensation of body, constipation, urinary issues.
The Pulse will be wiry and rapid and the Tongue will be red with a slippery tongue coating.
Hypochondriac pain, bitter taste in the mouth, irritability, easily angered, headache, dizziness, red, and possibly sore, eyes, diminished hearing and/or swollen sensation in ears/head. May have urinary symptoms such as painful, hot urination perhaps with swollen genitalia. Women may have leukorrhea with a strong odor.
The Pulse will be wiry, rapid and forceful and the Tongue will be red with a yellow tongue coating.
Signs of damp-heat with interior clumping which may settle into the abdominal region and/or rise upward to the head. Fever, irritability, red eyes, constipation, dark urine, flushed face - middle warmer issues - jaundice, dysentery, tongue/mouth ulcers.
Pulse will be be wiry and rapid and the Tongue will be red, swollen with a yellow greasy tongue coating.