Names Of Shi Gao
How Is Shi Gao Categorized?
Our Database Has 16 TCM Herbs In The Herbs That Drain Fire Category
How Is Shi Gao Used Clinically?
Shi Gao Usages and Indications
- The most important herb to clear internal heat, especially in the qi and yang ming levels.
- Clears heat, drains fire (heavy, descending) - high fever with no chills, excessive thirst, sweating, flooding and big pulse (the "4 bigs"), irritability, red tongue with yellow coat.
- Clears excess lung heat - cough, wheezing, fever, thick yellow sputum.
- Clears blazing stomach fire - headache, toothache, painful and swollen gums.
- Topically for eczema, burns, ulcerated sores; may also be taken internally.
Cautions and Contraindications
- Avoid in patients with a weak stomach, weak pulse, and yang deficiency.
- Avoid in cases with heat from yin deficiency.
How Is Shi Gao Prepared?
Dosage and Preparation Notes For Shi Gao
- Dosage: 9-30g
- Up to 90g for very high fevers
- Break up and cook 30 minutes before adding other herbs
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Herbal Medicine
- Popular Chinese Herbal Formula Found To Aid Chronic Liver Disease
- Chinese Medicine and Weight Loss
- TCM Formula Gan Mai Da Zao Wan Found Effective for "Several" Mental Health Issues
- Scorpions, Centipedes, and Hornets Nests: Chinese Herbal Medicine History
- Rhinitis Study Finds Yu Ping Feng Wan with Western Treatment Far Superior to Western Treatment Alone
- Zuo Jin Wan Chinese Herbal Formula Found Helpful in Gastric (Stomach) Cancer
- Commonly Used Chinese Herbal Medicine for Lupus - Lab Analysis
- Liu Wei Di Huang Wan Formula Shown To Prevent Post-Menopause Atherosclerosis
- Study Finds Yin Qiao Helpful and Safe for Children To Drop Fever
- Multiple Myeloma Maintained with Chinese Herbal Medicine Treatment Alone (Case Study)
Notes From Our Clinicians For Shi Gao
Staff Clinical Notes
- Unlike other bitter-cold herbs that clear heat (not for long periods, hidden heat syndromes, injure yin (bitterness) and stomach), Shi Gao is bitter and sweet - benefits yin, clears heat without hurting the stomach.
- When the calcined form is used it is for burns, eczema, abscesses, and nonhealing ulcers.
- Many texts do not require Shi Gao to be cooked longer - this seems to be the right way, however, according to research and experience.
Formulas Which Generally Contain Shi Gao
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about shi gao? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- Feeling helpless and clueless
- itching around parametees of the fingers
- Herbs for Gallbladder
- Persistent Eye swelling
- Points for dry skin
- Inflammed cracked calloused feet
- Hot and full ears
- Swelling face, low blood pressure and hemoroid
- Gynecomastia treatment
- Shiatsu for Lymphedema on left leg + varicose veins
Follow, Join, and Participate
Get Our App
Join Our Email List (3-5 email updates/yr)
All Content Copyright © 1999-2020 Yin Yang House Inc