Names Of Shi Gao
How Is Shi Gao Categorized?
Our Database Has 16 TCM Herbs In The Herbs That Drain Fire Category
How Is Shi Gao Used Clinically?
Shi Gao Usages and Indications
- The most important herb to clear internal heat, especially in the qi and yang ming levels.
- Clears heat, drains fire (heavy, descending) - high fever with no chills, excessive thirst, sweating, flooding and big pulse (the "4 bigs"), irritability, red tongue with yellow coat.
- Clears excess lung heat - cough, wheezing, fever, thick yellow sputum.
- Clears blazing stomach fire - headache, toothache, painful and swollen gums.
- Topically for eczema, burns, ulcerated sores; may also be taken internally.
Cautions and Contraindications
- Avoid in patients with a weak stomach, weak pulse, and yang deficiency.
- Avoid in cases with heat from yin deficiency.
How Is Shi Gao Prepared?
Dosage and Preparation Notes For Shi Gao
- Dosage: 9-30g
- Up to 90g for very high fevers
- Break up and cook 30 minutes before adding other herbs
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Herbal Medicine
- Zuo Jin Wan Chinese Herbal Formula Found Helpful in Gastric (Stomach) Cancer
- Yi Guan Jian Herbal Formula May Aid Liver Damage
- Study Explores Beneficial Effects of Popular Chinese Herbal Formula on Diabetic Retinopathy
- Chinese Medicine and Weight Loss
- Study Finds Yin Qiao Helpful and Safe for Children To Drop Fever
- TCM Herbal Formula Zeng Ye Tang Found Useful Against Primary Sjogren's Syndrome
- Ren Shen Yang Rong Wan Found Effective for Post Cancer Fatigue
- Polygonum Multiflorum (He Shou Wu) Shows Beneficial Effect on Alzheimers Disease
- Study Finds Wu Mei Wan Herbal Formula Protects Pancreatic Beta Cells in Diabetes
- Basic Guidelines For Choosing An Appropriate Herbal Formula
Notes From Our Clinicians For Shi Gao
Staff Clinical Notes
- Unlike other bitter-cold herbs that clear heat (not for long periods, hidden heat syndromes, injure yin (bitterness) and stomach), Shi Gao is bitter and sweet - benefits yin, clears heat without hurting the stomach.
- When the calcined form is used it is for burns, eczema, abscesses, and nonhealing ulcers.
- Many texts do not require Shi Gao to be cooked longer - this seems to be the right way, however, according to research and experience.
Formulas Which Generally Contain Shi Gao
Our database contains 4 TCM Formulas where Shi Gao is generally used
- Xiao Feng Wan -Clear Wind Pill (Expel Wind)
- Xin Yi Qing Fei Wan -Magnolia Flower Drink To Clear The Lungs (Release the Exterior)
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about shi gao? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
- bechet's disease
- Fibrosis Pulmonary
- Vagul Nervous system.
- Question about Shipping to EU
- Shen Tong Zhu Yu Availability
- Help for PoTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
- acupuncture used to decrease opioids in bariatric surgery
- Blood stasis in uterus and legs / herbal formula
- recurring boils
- Female senior , Ovaries , as / if related to Brain Health