Clear Heat - General Herbal Formula Category Concepts
Clear Heat Functional Grouping
Heat can be found at the qi level, blood level (xue), nutritive level (ying) and within particular organ systems. Proper diagnosis is very important when working to clear heat as improper use of cooling herbs/formulas can weaken the yang and cause any variety of health problems. The formulas within this section are often used for relatively short periods of time with somewhat acute conditions.
The Clear Heat Category Has The Following Subcategories:
- Clear Heat and Relieve Toxicity
- Clear Heat From Deficiency
- Clear Heat From The Nutritive Level and Cool The Blood
- Clear Heat From The Organs
- Clear Heat From The Qi Level
- Relieve Summerheat
The Clear Heat Category Contains (20) TCM formulas In Our Database
Eight Herb Powder for Vaginal Discharge
- Clearing damp heat in the lower warmer, particularly with underlying blood deficiency - vaginal disharge, vaginal itching, vaginal inflammation along with constipation, possibly anemia, low back pain, and/or abdominal pain. Leukorrhea may be yellow, white or red.
- Gonorrhea, syphilis.
Bupleurum, Cinnamon Twig and Ginger Decoction
- Shaoyang disorder with water accumulation - A modification of xiao chai hu tang with gui zhi and gan jiang to work with mixed pattern cases of "heat above, cold below". Generally for patients with exterior conditions that have not cleared with releasing treatments for more than 5 days to a week. Common colds, flu - alternating periods of chills and fever, fullness/distention in the chest, irritability (shaoyang symptoms) with perspiration on the head/upper body, thirst, possibly painful urination and/or loose stools (water accumulation).
- Insomnia with the right underlying factors.
Chu Kou Wei Wan
- Acid reflux and/or burning sensation in the epigastrium, throat, or mouth from stomach fire.
- Ulcers, sores, or other types of abcess in the mouth due to persistent stomach heat.
- Constant sense of hunger or noticable increse in appetite.
- Commonly used to treat bad breath (halitosis).
Indigo Combo Pills
- Itching, rashes, general skin irritation especially of the type that moves around or is intermittent.
- Insect bites, allergic contact dermatitis, poison ivy/oak/sumac, sun burn.
Margarite Acne Pills
- Cystic acne, pimples.
- Skin irritation due to damp heat - eczema, boils, carbuncles, etc.
- With appropriate diagnosis can be used for acute dermatitis, poison ivy/oak.
Coptis Decoction To Relieve Toxicity
- Clears fire toxins (damp heat, toxic heat, fire) from all three jiaos - formula has an antibiotic function which has a broad range of uses in conditions arising from damp heat in the body. Acute bacterial infections, dystentary, fever (of unknown origin), acute bronchitis, acute conjunctivitis, UTI.
- Hypertension when it arises from fire/toxic heat.
- A range of skin issues - boils, acne, mastitis, pyogenic skin infections, gingivitis.
- Disorders of the middle jiao - hepatitis (particularly acute infectious), jaundice, H-pylori, gastritis.
- Arrest bleeding in reckless bleeding from heat.
- Gu syndrome conditions with the right underyling factors - IBS, Lyme, other inflammatory conditions.
Coptis Clearance Pill
- Dispels wind heat, clear toxic heat - generally used short-term for inflammatory conditions of the face, mouth, head - sore throat, conjunctivitis, acne, swollen gums.
- Can be a supportive formula for liver fire conditions resulting in headache, tinnitus, dizziness, vertigo.
- A range of yang ming heat issues - constipation, halitosis, gingivitis.
Gentiana Purge Liver Formula
- Hypochondriac pain, bitter taste in the mouth, irritability, easily angered, headache, dizziness, red, and possibly sore, eyes resulting from liver fire rising.
- Urinary symptoms such as painful, hot urination perhaps with swollen genitalia, dark and/or turbid urine from damp heat accumulation in the lower jiao.
- Leukorrhea of yellow color with a strong odor.
Musk Hemorrhoid Ointment
- Hemorrhoids and/or constipation from an accumulation of damp-heat and toxins in the lower jiao - possibly bleeding hemorrhoids, pain, rectal prolapse, anal itching. Shrinks swollen tissue, helps to remove decayed tissue and stimulate new growth. Available as a cream and suppositories and may be combined with other oral formulas depending on the needs of the patient.
Artemisia Annua and Soft-Shelled Turtle Formula
Heat at night (nightsweats, sensation of heat) with a sensation of coolness in the early morning/upon waking, no effect on appetite.
Pulse will be fine and rapid and the Tongue will be red with little coating.
Clear Summer Heat and Augment the Qi
- Please note that there are two formulas with the same name but slightly different compositions. One is from Wang's Wen Re Jing Wei and tonifies the yin more strongly, the other (which is the one discussed here) is from Li's Pi Wei Lun (Discussion of the Spleen and Stomach) and tonifies the spleen more strongly. Both have similar usages but are not directly interchangeable.
- Clears summerheat and dries dampness - summer colds and flus, heatstroke - fever, fatigue, excessive sweating with loose stools and heaviness in the body.
- Along with respiratory infections in the right cases certain types of asthma may be appropriate for this formula.
- Dampheat related inflammatory condtions such as Colitis are approprirate with the right underlying factors.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with symptoms of spleen deficiency and heat.
- Wtih the right underlying factors the range of perimenopausal symptoms may be appropriate - low libido, fatigue, water retention, fibroids, heavy cycles. Where this appear with spleen qi deficiency signs and kidney weakness, this formula may be appropriate.
Immortals Formula For Sustaining Life
- Generally for short-term use with early stage heat toxins - sores, carbuncles, boils, styes, acne. Swollen and painful skin lesions with other heat signs (chills/fever).
- Breast abscesses, mastitis.
- Uses for rheumatoid arthritis and/or psoriasis with the right underlying diagnosis.
- Internal abscesses from blood stasis.
Aucklandia and Coptis Pills
- Diarrhea expecially with bright blood or mucus and foul smelling resuling from damp heat.
- Nausea, abdominal cramps or bloating, with possible loss of appetite from damp accumulation.
- Vomitting, hiccups, excessive belching, acid reflux due to rebellious stomach qi and heat.
- The modifications in Jia Wei Xiang Lian Wan add more movement and stronger heat clearing from the base.
Drain the Epigastrium Formula
Signs of damp-heat with interior clumping which may settle into the abdominal region and/or rise upward to the head. Fever, irritability, red eyes, constipation, dark urine, flushed face - middle warmer issues - jaundice, dysentery, tongue/mouth ulcers.
Pulse will be be wiry and rapid and the Tongue will be red, swollen with a yellow greasy tongue coating.
- Hemorrhoids and/or constipation from an accumulation of damp-heat and toxins in the lower jiao - possibly bleeding hemorrhoids, pain, rectal prolapse, anal itching.
- With the right underlying factors may also be useful for vaginal bleeding with abdominal pain, possibly with dark clots.
Artemisiae Scopariae Decoction
- Used for a range of liver, gallbladder and pancreatic disorders arising from damp heat. Symptoms such as jaundice, urinary difficulty, nausea, bloating and more.
- Western conditions could be cirrhosis, gallbladder disease, alcohol toxicity and more.
- May involve other psychiatric conditions as well such as manic depression, anger outbursts, etc.