Drain Downward - General Herbal Formula Category Concepts
Drain Downward Functional Grouping
This grouping of formulas is used to expel accumulations of heat, cold and/or fluids in the body. They generally accomplish this by promoting bowel movements. The formulas are intended for only those conditions from internal issues as opposed to constipation from a fever with an externally originating condition such as the flu. They are also contraindicated during pregnancy due to their downward movement as well as on anyone who is in a weakened state. They are not intended for long term use.
The Drain Downward Category Has The Following Subcategories:
- Drive Out Excess Water
- Moisten the Intestines and Unblock the Bowels
- Purge Heat Accumulation
- Warm the Yang and Guide Out Accumulation
The Drain Downward Category Contains (3) TCM formulas In Our Database
Rhubarb and Moutan Combination
- Breaks up heat, moves blood stagnation and reduces swelling, release through the bowels - appendicitis, lower abdominal distension with pain, intestinal abscesses, hemorrhoids.
- Post surgical infections, particularly in the colon and/or lower warmer.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Groin pain relieved by flexing hip and without urinary difficulty (but with symptoms similar to a UTI).