Expel Dampness - General Herbal Formula Category Concepts
Expel Dampness Functional Grouping
Dampness in Chinese Medicine terms is a part of the yin energy of the body and has the effect of slowing and blocking the flow of energy in the body. Dampness may arise from the environment (external) or from poor dietary habits and/or emotional stress (internal). It generally takes a while to build up in the body and once there can be difficult to resolve entirely. The signs of dampness range from general heaviness of the body, fatigue, nausea and/or edema to various psycho-emotional symptoms such as depression, insomnia and anxiety. The spleen and the kidney systems are generally involved and this most often arises from an internal deficiency. The herbs in this category should be used cautiously in people with yin deficiency and/or dryness.
The Expel Dampness Category Has The Following Subcategories:
- Clear Damp-Heat
- Dispel Wind-Dampness
- Promote Urination and Leach out Dampness
- Transform Damp Turbidity
- Warm and Transform Water and Dampness
The Expel Dampness Category Contains (21) TCM formulas In Our Database
Dioscorea Formula To Separate The Clear
- Generally for painful urination issues (gao lin) that arises from kidney yang deficiency.
- With related kidney yang deficiency pattern - chronic urinary tract infections, leukorrhea, vaginal thrush.
- Chronic prostatitis, particularly with white and cloudy urine.
Aquilaria Qi Transforming Pills
For spleen qi deficiency with damp heat accumulation in the lower. The spleen system is effectively the western version of the digestive system. The spleen is responsible for extracting the energy from the food and properly breaking the food down. When the spleen is weak the overall energy tends to drop, the appetite may be poor, and the mood may also be on the down side. Furthermore, the weakness of the spleen results in the accumulation of byproducts (damp) which tend to accumulate in the lower.
Symptoms may include diarrhea, constipation, excessive gas, and abdominal distension. This formula is used to treat belching, acid reflux, poor appetite, abdominal distension, flatulence, constipation, and abdominal cramping and discomfort.
Tongue: puffy, sticky or greasy coat
Pulse: slippery, weak
Stephania and Astragalus Teapills
- Wind damp / wind edema (feng shui, literally "wind water") patterns, generally acute - heavy sensation of the body, superficial edema, difficulty with urination - idiopathic edema, ascites.
- Weak wei qi - frequent colds, flus.
- Wind damp bi syndromes (osteoarthritis or rheumatoid, swelling, edema), particularly of the knees.
- Idiopathic sweating issues (weak exterior and weak spleen).
- Bone fractures with the right underlying issues, generally associated with damp bi.
- Weight loss with deficiency signs (weak appetite, heavy sensation of body).
Remove Painful Obstruction Decoction
- Wind-cold-damp bi syndromes in qi deficient patients - joint pain possibly with heaviness of the limbs that generally improves with movement. Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gouty arthritis. With wind-cold-damp patterns other inflammatory conditions such as fibromyalgia.
- Atrophy from qi and blood stagnation - stroke recovery.
Benefit The Gallbladder Pills
- A range of gallbladder, liver and related digestive/obstructive issues - clears damp heat from the liver and gall bladder in TCM terms. Symptoms may include gallstones and/or a range of digestive issues from poor gallbladder function – nausea, vomiting, jaundice.
- Hepatitis, particularly acute viral, along with other supportive formulas when arising from damp heat.
Water Stone Removal Pill
- Useful for a range of calcifications/stones - kidney stones, bladder stones, ureter stones and when the underlying pathology is appropriate gallstones. Generally involves collections of damp heat in the lower warmer.
- Besides stones, symptoms may range from small volumes of urination, pain with urination, urgency, itching and/or pain in the groin generally.
Four Marvels Powder
- Damp-Heat Bi-Syndromes in Chinese Medicine terms - arthritis with hot swollen joints. With the right underlying diagnosis both osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis would respond.
- Weakness and/or atrophy in the lower body with swelling.
- Leukorrhea and other heat related discharge.
Knee Joint Pain Relief
- Arthritis from damp heat in Chinese Medicine terms.
- Knee issues with kidney and liver systems involvement.
- Lower body pain and/or inflammation - hips, knees, ankles, toes especially when the pain moves around due to interior wind.
- Connective tissue disorders.
Invigorate Bone and Joint Pills
- Damp and Cold bi-syndromes - arthritis (osteo primarily), joint pain, muscles aches that is aggravated with cold and/or damp weather - weakness of the knee, pain in lower back, general weakness, pain in joints, stiffness of joints, and pain that moves around.