Tonify - General Herbal Formula Category Concepts
Tonify Functional Grouping
Tonification may be directed towards the qi, blood, yin and/or yang aspects of the body. In mixed cases you must often think of the generating factors in the body to replenish certain substances. This may either be looking at the mutual interplay between qi, blood, yin and yang - so building qi to aid in the production of blood, for example. Or by the generation cycle within five elements - tonifying the the kidneys (water) to aid the liver (wood). The most important aspect to herbs in this section is to not go along with the often heard western adage - more is better. This is simply not true and can be harmful to patients. Proper diagnosis and distinguishing between deficiency and excess and the mutual relationship between those two levels must be properly analyzed.
The Tonify Category Has The Following Subcategories:All Functions
The Tonify Category Contains (37) TCM formulas In Our Database
Tonify the Middle and Augment the Qi Formula
- Coldness of the limbs, borborygmus with loose stools or diarrhea due to spleen yang deficiency.
- Spontaneous or easy sweating, general fatigue, changes in appetite due to spleen qi deficiency.
- Pale complexion and preference for warm food or drinks due to spleen yang and qi deficiency.
- Shortness of breath and noticable lack of desire to speak may present if both spleen and stomach qi are weak.
- This formula is also commonly used for prolasped organs.
Great Tonify the Yin Pill
- Steaming bone syndrome - sensation of intense heat, malar flushing, spontaneous sweating.
- Palpitations, anxiety, insomnia, hot flashes, from kidney/heart yin deficiency.
- Tinnitus, possible vertigo, irritability, restlessness from liver fire rising.
Dang Gui And Peony Powder
- Blood deficiency with poor water circulation - generally used for abdominal pain during pregnancy - mild to moderate possibly with cramps, lower body edema and difficult urination.
- Above issues with blood deficient signs - anemia, dizziness, palpitations, low energy, cold hands and feet.
- May be appropriate for general hormonal/blood related issues - dysemenorrhea, irregular cycles, uterine bleeding, anovulation.
- For recovery of qi and blood after acute trauma or accident, similar in usage to ba zhen wan.
- A range of menstrual issues when they arise from qi and blood deficiency - amenorrhea, menorrhagia, irregular cycles - also related fertility issues.
- For pregnancy with the right diagnostic factors for habitual miscarriage, unstable pregnancy - as well as aiding with difficult labor and post-partum deficiencies such as weakness, anemia, and/or insufficient lactation.
- Weakness and deficiencies from qi and blood deficiency generally - strong fatigue, orthostatic hypotension, anemia, floaters.
- Any of the above issues may arise from malnutrition and/or eating disorder issues for which this formula may be supportive.
- Vertigo/dizziness, possibly with anxiety and/or palpitations from blood deficiency.
Two Immortal Decoction
- Kidney Yin and Kidney Yang deficiencies with Empty Heat - hormonal issues such as menopause (possibly w/hypertension), amenorrhea, hot flashes along with associated symptoms of fatigue, depression, insomnia, nervousness and more.
- Infertility with appropriate underlying factors, particularly when arising with amenorrhea or irregular menstruation.
- Aplastic anemia.
Restore the Spleen Formula
- The formula is used to tonify both the spleen and heart which can be damaged from excessive overthinking, compulsions, etc. along with poor dietary habits and stressful lifestyle.
- Anxiety, phobias, palpitations, insomnia, dream disturbed sleep, poor appetite, pallid complexion.
- In women spleen and heart deficiencies may lead to prolonged periods with little flow or early periods, heavier with pale blood.
Lower Blood Sugar Pill
- Nourish the yin and tonify qi with particular emphasis on diabetes (primarily type II, but in some cases type I would benefit as well) when the underlying tcm diagnosis fits. Symptoms may include strong thirst, strong appetite, fatigue, weakness, low back pain, frequent urination, and glucose in the urine.
Six Ingredient Pill with Rehmannia
- Dizziness, tinnitus, possibly vertigo as a result of kidney and liver yin deficiency.
- Insomnia especially with night sweats, hot flashes, irritability.
- Spontaneous/nocturnal emissions.
- Menopause related symptoms including cardiovascular issues, bone health, etc. when arising from yin deficiency.
Ginseng Decoction to Nourish the Nutritive Qi
- Tonifies both qi and blood and nourishes the heart and calms the spirit - generally used for weakness from longer term or deep diseases such as cancer and for a host of other conditions affecting a broad range of the body and psyche such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and autoimmune conditions such as Lupus, Scleroderma, MCTD.
- May be used alone or in conjunction with a formula such as yu ping feng wan to enhance immunity - particularly in patients with frequent colds and flus.
- Raynaud's condition in addition to the other connective tissue issues listed above.
- Micturition syncope, nephritis, cancers of the genitourinary tract.
- Male infertility, possibly with Gui Zhi Fu Ling Wan, for sperm volume and motility issues.
- Along with other immune benefits, hepatitis C.
- Lung cancer.
Ginseng, Poria & Atractylodes Pills
- Diarrhea, loose stools, or mucus/greasy stools from damp accumulation in the spleen/stomach.
- Borborygmus, low appetite, fatigue, and/or pale complexion resulting from spleen qi deficiency.
- Colitis, IBS, gastritis, and other types of gastro intenstinal disorders where the predominant TCM pattern is spleen qi deficiency and damp accumulation.
Generate the Pulse Pills
- Respiratory issues from lung qi and yin deficiencies - chronic cough, wheezing.
- May be used for damage from longer term illnesses and/or the overuse of wind clearing formulas for colds/flus - nightsweats, spontaneous sweating.
- With the right underlying patterns a range of respiratory and coronary issues.
Four Substances Pills
- The primary base formula for tonifying the blood and regulating menstruation in Chinese Medicine terms - irregular cycles, amenorrhea or long cycles.
- Postpartum issues such as uterine bleeding when arising from blood deficiency.
- General blood deficiency symptoms - dry skin, dry eyes, dry hair, anemia, calf cramping. Certain version of dermatitis, psoriasis and other skin conditions - diabetic ulcers, etc.
- With the right underlying factors threatened miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy.
- Fertility issues, endometriosis.
Four Substances Pills With Safflower And Peach Pit
- A modified version of si wu tang with the inclusion of tao ren and hong hua which make it slightly more moving for the blood - for blood deficiency with blood stagnation with particular emphasis on the lower jiao - dysmenorrhea, irregular menstruation, heavy bleeding, other stasis symptoms such as fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes, endometriosis, etc. as well as related psychological issues such as depression.
- Can be used post-delivery for retained lochia.
Five Seeds to Bring Forth Offspring
- Impotence, premature ejaculation, noctural emissions, low libedo from weakened kidney jing (essence).
- Poor concentration and memory, listlessness, general fatigue and worsening eyesight also resulting from weakened jing.
- Low back pain, possibly with weakness of the knees from weakness of the kidney system.
- Infertility [male] with low sperm count or abnormal sperm morphology.
Aucklandia, Amomi & Six Gentlemen Pills
- A modified version of the base, zhi zhu wan, which is used to treat qi stagnation and food retention from qi deficiency. This modification includes herbs which add more movement and damp drying.
- Distention and fullness in the epigastric area - bloating, indigestion, gastritis, gastric prolapse.
- Poor appetite (from Spleen Qi Deficiency), anorexia.
Golden Voice Pills
- Benefits the yin and qi of the lungs, clears heat and wind - acute and/or chronic throat and/or voice issues from overuse, illness, smoking, etc. Symptoms may include difficulty speaking, hoarseness/raspy voice, sore throat.
- This formula may be used to treat polyps/nodules of the vocal cords, laryngitis, sore throat, and other vocal problems due to overuse when the underlying patterns fit.
- GI issues from yin deficiency (liver and kidney) with liver qi stagnation leading to stomach yin issues - gastritis, ulcers, reflux, bloating.
- The underlying factors lead to dryness of the blood, that coupled with liver qi stagnation and yin deficiency may lead to PMS, inosmnia, etc.
- With the right underlying factors useful for a range of liver conditions - hepatitis, fatty liver.
- Essential hypertension, preeclampsia.
Restore the Right Kidney Pill
- Cold extremities, fatigue, weak/aching low back, knees, waist, aversion to cold, loose stools - due to kindney yang deficiency.
- Impotence, infertility, low libedo, low sperm count, abnormal sperm morphology.
- Incontinence or other urinary issues (frequent, difficult to restrain), enlarged prostate.
Eight Flavor Rehmannia Teapills
- Steaming bone syndrome - dry and intensive persuasive sensation of heat possibly with flushing and tidal fever.
- Dizziness, vertigo, tinnitis, anxiety and restlessness resulting from yin deficiency.
- Dryness of the skin, mucus membranes, hard stools, dark or scanty urine.
Strengthen Kidney Yang And Preserve Power Pill
- Tonifies the kidney yang and astringe the jing (essence), primarily for sexual dysfunction in older males - symptoms may include impotence, erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, and other signs of kidney yang deficiency including weak/sore low back and/or knees, weakness in the limbs, cold sensation, aversion to cold, and fatigue.