Treat Phlegm - General Herbal Formula Category Concepts
Treat Phlegm Functional Grouping
The concepts of dampness and phlegm are deeper than our initial associations with excessive mucus. Excess dampness and phlegm inhibits circulation of both physical and emotional/mental movement. Accordingly excesses can lead to a wide array of conditions including clinical depression (phlegm misting the mind), headaches (phlegm obstruction), fibroids (collection of phlegm) among more common conditions such as the common cold. Phlegm may arise from weakness in the transformative actions of the spleen, yin deficiency burning the fluids, cold and wind. Treatment will be determined on the underlying causes and the area(s) effected.
The Treat Phlegm Category Has The Following Subcategories:
- Clear Heat and Transform Phlegm
- Dry Dampness and Expel Phlegm
- Induce Vomiting to Discharge Phlegm
- Moisten Dryness and Transform Phlegm
- Transform Phlegm and Dissipate Nodules
- Transform Phlegm and Extinguish Wind
- Warm and Transform Cold-Phlegm
The Treat Phlegm Category Contains (9) TCM formulas In Our Database
Pinellia, Atractylodis and Gastrodia Combination
- Nausea with possible vomitting from combination of damp with liver qi stagnation causing rebellious qi.
- Dizziness, migraines, and vertigo from damp and liver wind rising.
- Heavy or oppressed sensation of the chest.
Nose Inflammation Tablets
- For acute or chronic rhinitis resulting from the combination of lung qi deficiency and phlegm accumulation.
- Runny nose, sneezing, congestion due to phlegm.
- Can be used to treat for general cold or flu symptoms due to phlegm and wind.
Calm Wheezing Pills
- Directs the lung qi downward and clears phlegm heat from the lungs. Typically used for the condition of wind cold blocking the exterior with internal accumulation of phlegm heat - which may involve symptoms such as the common cold, bronchitis, asthma - with wheezing, cough with thick sticky yellow phlegm that is difficult to get out, rapid shallow breathing, difficulty breathing.
- Conditions may be acute or chronic.
Two Aged Herbs & Three Seeds Nursing Pills
- Modified version of er chen wan - formula for clearing phlegm in both acute and chronic cases - seasonal colds and flus with phlegm, chronic wet cough, sinus issues and more physical signs such as dizziness, meniere's with the right causal factors.
Two Aged Herbs
- The primary base formula to resolve phlegm damp, particularly in the lungs and GI system - cough (with white mucus), plugged ears, sinus blockage - along with GI symptoms of nausea, vomiting.
- Upper respiratory tract infections, bronchitis, emphysema, COPD - when arising from phlegm damp.
- Phlegm accumulation in the head symptoms such as dizziness, insomnia, meniere's disease, alcohol hangover.
- Cysts from phlegm accumulation - fibroids, breast cyst, ovarian cyst, thryoid cysts, goiter.
Internally Reducing Cervical Lymphadenitis Pills
- Phlegm obstructions - generally benign masses, lumps, swellings such as lymph nodules, breast cysts, thyroid nodules, goiter, ovarian cysts, fibroids, etc.
- If used, it may often be combined with deeper formulas for the more systemic underlying pattern.
Warm the Gallbladder Formula
- Anxiety, depression, insomnia, and other shen disturbances caused by phlegm misting the mind.
- Seizures, convulsions or other types of involuntary muscle contractions that are caused by phlegm and heat.
- Nausea, vomitting, abdominal discomfort resulting from disharmony of the stomach and gallbladder/liver.
- Vertigo, dizziness or light-headedness.