TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Channels Influenced
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are divided into many categorizations which help to ensure they are used effectively. Below you will find herbs categorized by the meridians, or channels, that the herbs will influence. When preparing formulas for a given condition you may use herbs that either effect a particular meridian or organ directly or herbs that will help lead the properties of other herbs into a particular channel.
For example, you may want an herbal formula that cools lung heat for a cough. You can use herbs that are directly cooling on the lungs or a combination of herbs that are cooling and have a strong influence on leading that property of the herbs to the lungs.
You may also use herbs to protect a certain channel or organ system from side effects of stronger herbs that you are using to treat a particular condition.
Listed below are the channels influenced along with the number of herbs within each meridian that are contained in our tcm herbal database.
375 TCM Herbs Listed By The Channels They Influence
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by the channels they influence. You may click on a channel to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about the channel influences. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and functions.
|Channel Influenced||Num of Herbs|
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Ban Lan Gen Woad Root, Isatis Root
- Drains heat, relieves fire toxicity, cools the blood and benefits the throat - warm-febrile disease, mumps, painful swollen throat.
- Damp-heat jaundice.
Ma Bo Fruiting Body of Puffball, Lasiosphaera
- Clears the lung, relieves fire toxicity, and improves the throat - fire toxin affecting the throat causing painful, swollen throat, loss of voice, cough due to lung heat.
- Topically to stop bleeding, particularly in the oral cavity and lips.
Rou Dou Kou Nutmeg Seeds
- Binds the intestines, stops chronic/daybreak diarrhea due to cold from spleen and kidney deficiency.
- Warms the middle burner, moves Qi - alleviates pain in abdomen, vomiting due to cold from deficiency of the spleen and stomach.
Tian Zhu Huang Siliceous Secretions of Bamboo
- Clears and transforms phlegm-heat - difficult to expectorate sputum.
- Clears heat and arrests convulsions - spasms, convulsions due to phlegm-heat, especially in children.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...