TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
375 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Chuan Jiao Szechuan Pepper
- Warms the middle warmer, disperses cold, alleviates abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea - spleen or stomach cold from deficiency patterns.
- Abdominal pain due to roundworms (auxiliary herb).
Zhe Bei Mu Fritillaria Bulb
- Clears and transforms phlegm-heat - acute lung heat with productive cough.
- Clears heat, dissipates nodules (better than Chuan Bei Mu - for phlegm-fire congealing and causing neck swellings, lung and breast abscesses and swellings.
Tu Bie Chong Wingless Cockroach
- Breaks up and drives out blood stasis - wide variety of blood stasis such as abdominal masses and amenorrhea, numb and swollen tongue due to blood stasis.
- Renews joints, sinews, bones - contusions, fractures, lacerations.
Ye Gu Ghost Flower
- Swellings in the throat
- Urinary tract infections, other bladder/kidney issues including cancer
- Used in folk remedies for diabetes
- Used for a range of liver disease including cancer
- Arthritis and other systemic inflammatory conditions
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...