TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Che Qian Zi Plantago Seeds
- Promotes urination, clears heat - edema, lin syndromes due to damp-heat, generally in the lower warmer.
- Solidifies the stool - diarrhea with damp-heat or damp-summerheat.
- Clears the eyes - liver and kidney deficiency (dry eyes or cataracts) or heat in the liver channel (red, painful, swollen eyes and sensitive to light).
- Lung heat - expels phlegm, stops cough.
Bai Zhi Angelica Root
- Expels wind-cold, dampness
- Opens nasal passages, sinus congestion (particularly with green discharge), alleviates pain (especially in the head region)
- Resolve wind-cold symptoms especially with headaches (yangming - ST), supraorbital pain, congestion
- Useful for swollen gums and toothache
Hei Zhi Ma Black Sesame Seeds
- Tonify the yin of the liver and kidney systems. Useful for vision disturbances (blurry vision), tinnitus, dizziness, vertigo, premature graying of the hair.
- Nourish liver blood and clear liver wind - headaches, dizziness, numbness in the limbs.
- Moisten and lubricate the intestines - constipation.
Bai Bu Stemona Root
- Moistens the lungs, stops cough - chronic and acute cough, especially for deficient coughs.
- Expels parasites, kills lice - topically for lice, internally for pinworms.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...