TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Dai Zhe Shi Hermatite
- Calms the liver, anchors floating yang, clears liver fire.
- Directs rebellious qi downwards - belching, vomiting, hiccough, wheezing.
- Cools the blood, stops bleeding - vomiting of blood, nosebleed.
Zao Jiao Chinese Honeylocust Fruit, Gleditsia
- Dispels phlegm - phlegm nodules, coughing with copious but difficult to expectorate sputum, strongly dispels phlegm.
- Opens orifices and revives the spirit - sudden loss of consciousness with facial paralysis or seizures due to excessive phlegm.
- Dissipates clumps and reduces swellings.
Jing Jie Schizonepeta Stem
- Expels wind and releases the exterior - useful for either wind-cold or wind-heat
- Useful for boils, carbuncles, etc. in the initial stages
- Resolve itching (wind-heat in the blood level), may be used topically
- Stops bleeding, blood in stool (secondary herb), uterine bleeding
Bai Jiang Cao Patrinia, Thiaspi
- Clears heat, relieves toxicity, and expels pus - intestinal abscess, sores, swellings.
- Dispels blood stasis, stops pain - for heat induced blood stasis, especially in the abdomen and chest; also for post-partum pain, post-operative pain.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...