TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Bai Bu Stemona Root
- Moistens the lungs, stops cough - chronic and acute cough, especially for deficient coughs.
- Expels parasites, kills lice - topically for lice, internally for pinworms.
Lu Dou Mung Bean
- Clears summerheat - thirst (main symptom), fever, irritability; often drunk as a tea in summertime to prevent over heating.
- Antidote to Fu Zi.
Sang Piao Xiao Ootheca Mantidis
- Tonify the kidneys, consolidate jing and restrain urine - frequent urination and other kidney deficiency.
- Binds the intestines - stops diarrhea and dysentery.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...