TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Gu Sui Bu Drynaria Rhizome
- Tonify kidneys - weak low back and knee, diarrhea, tinnitus, decreased hearing, toothache, bleeding gums due to deficient kidneys.
- Mending sinews and bones due to falls, fractures, contusions, sprains.
- Stimulates growth of hair - used topically as a tincture for alopecia.
Wu Yao Lindera Root
- Promotes the movement of Qi, alleviates pain by warming and dispersing - flank, chest, epigastric, abdominal pain, hernia, menstrual pains due to cold constraint and qi stagnation.
- Warms the kidneys - frequent urination or incontinence due to kidney yang deficiency and cold from deficiency of the bladder.
Chuan Jiao Szechuan Pepper
- Warms the middle warmer, disperses cold, alleviates abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea - spleen or stomach cold from deficiency patterns.
- Abdominal pain due to roundworms (auxiliary herb).
Mo Yao Myrrh
- Invigorate blood, dispel blood stasis, reduces swelling, alleviate pain - trauma, sores, carbuncles, swellings, abdominal masses, painful obstruction, chest pain, abdominal pain, amenorrhea.
- Promotes healing of chronic non-healing sores.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...