TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Fu Xiao Mai Un-Ripe Wheat Grain
- Stops excessive sweating from deficiency patterns - nightsweats, spontaneous sweating.
- Nourish the heart - palpitations, insomnia, irritability.
- Childhood bedwetting.
Gua Lou Ren Trichosanthes Fruit Seeds
- (See Gua Lou) - clears and transforms phlegm-heat, expands the chest.
- Moistens the intestines - constipation due to dryness along with other heat signs.
- Expels pus and promotes healing of sores (mastitis) - an adjunctive herb.
E Jiao Donkey-Hide Glue, Gelatin
- Tonify blood - dizziness, sallow complexion, palpitations.
- Stops bleeding - any type.
- Nourish and moisten yin - irritability and insomnia after febrile disease, dry lung coughs due to yin deficiency or consumption.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...