TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Ban Zhi Lian Barbat Skullcap, Scutellaria
- Clears heat, relieves toxicity, invigorates blood, reduces swelling - furuncles, sores, abscesses.
- Recently used for cancers and chronic hepatitis.
Xuan Fu Hua Inula Flower
- Redirects lung qi downward, expels cold-phlegm - wheezing and copious sputum.
- Stops vomiting, rebellious qi - from cold due to deficiency of stomach or spleen.
Bai He Lily Bulb
- Moisten the lungs, clear heat, and stop coughing - cough from dry lungs or lung heat, sore throat.
- Clear heat and calm the spirit - low fever, insomnia, restlessness, irritability in the aftermath of a febrile disease, palpitations from qi and/or yin deficiency.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...