TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
375 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Fu Pen Zi Chinese Raspberry
- Tonify kidneys, stabilize kidney qi, binds the essence, restrains urine - incontinence, enuresis, spermatorrhea, frequent urination, premature ejaculation.
- Liver and kidney deficiency - poor vision, sore low back, impotence.
Zhu Ru Bamboo Shavings
- Clears and transforms phlegm-heat - thick sputum, stifling sensation in the chest, coughing up blood.
- Clears heat from the stomach, stops vomiting (good choice for different types including morning sickness), aversion to heat, bad breath, yellow greasy tongue.
- Cools the blood and stops bleeding - to stop nosebleed and vomiting of blood.
Rou Dou Kou Nutmeg Seeds
- Binds the intestines, stops chronic/daybreak diarrhea due to cold from spleen and kidney deficiency.
- Warms the middle burner, moves Qi - alleviates pain in abdomen, vomiting due to cold from deficiency of the spleen and stomach.
Huang Yao Zi Dioscorea Bulbifera Tuber
- Dissipates nodules and reduces massage - goiter, cancer.
- Cools the blood and stops bleeding - vomiting blood, coughing up blood, uterine bleeding.
- Reduces toxicity of toxic swellings (topically).
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...