TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
375 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Xi Jiao Rhinoceros Horn
- Clears Heat, Relieves Fire Toxicity, Cools Blood, Arrests Tremors. Erythema, nosebleed, vomiting blood, delirium, convulsions, manic behavior, loss of consciousness.
Mi Meng Hua Buddleia Flower Bud
- Benefits the eyes - red, swollen, painful eyes, excessive tearing, light sensitivity, superficial visual obstruction; both excessive and deficient patterns (nourishes yin and blood).
Guang Fang Zi Aristolochia Root, Stephania
- Expels wind-damp-heat - diffuse aches and pains, thirst, yellow, greasy tongue coat.
- Promotes urination and reduces edema (facial or systemic) with wheezing or leg qi.
Lu Feng Fang Hornets Nest
- Relieve toxicity, expel wind, alleviate pain - toothache (gargle).
- Topically - skin rash, itching, scabies, ringworm, sores, carbuncles.
- Expel wind, dry damp - painful obstruction, wind rash.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...