TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Zhu Ru Bamboo Shavings
- Clears and transforms phlegm-heat - thick sputum, stifling sensation in the chest, coughing up blood.
- Clears heat from the stomach, stops vomiting (good choice for different types including morning sickness), aversion to heat, bad breath, yellow greasy tongue.
- Cools the blood and stops bleeding - to stop nosebleed and vomiting of blood.
Mu Xiang Costus Root
- Promotes the movement of Qi, alleviates pain - stagnant qi of the stomach and/or spleen causing lack of appetite, abdominal pain, distention, nausea; liver or gallbladder qi stagnation causing flank pain, distention.
- Regulates stagnated Qi in the intestines - diarrhea, abdominal pain (common herb to treat tenesmus).
- Strengthens the spleen and prevents stagnation, used with tonifying herbs to reduce side effects.
Fu Ping Duckweed, Spirodela
- Expels exterior heat - headaches, body ache, strong diaphoretic (rare in cool and acrid herbs), may be used alone.
- Unblocks muscle level, vents rashes - accelerates rash at early stage.
- Expels water, reduces swelling - hot superficial edema in the upper body accompanied by urinary difficulty.
Jin Yin Hua Honeysuckle Flower, Lonicera
- Clear heat, relieve toxic fire - hot, painful swellings in the throat, breast, eyes; intestinal abscesses.
- Expel wind-heat - fever, aversion to wind, sore throat, headache; also for summer-heat.
- Clear damp heat from the lower jiao - dysentery, lin syndrome.
- Stem, Ren Dong Teng, is used for similar functions - abscesses, sores, damp-heat bi syndromes.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...