TCM Herbal Database - Materia Medica - Functional Groupings
Within Traditional Chinese Medicine, herbs are categorized by their functions within the body. Listed below are the most common functional groupings of the Chinese herbs.
Following the link for each functional group will provide you with summary/study notes for that group and the list of individual herbs within that grouping. Following each individual herb link will take you to the entry within our tcm herbal database.
373 TCM Herbs Listed By Their Functional Grouping
Below is a table of the Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs categorized by their functional grouping. You may click on a functional group to view the names and functions of each individual herb as well as to learn more about their functions. You may also view the herbs categorized by properties and channels influenced.
Some Herbs To Peruse...
Huang Lian Coptis Rhizome
- Drains fire, relieves toxicity - high fever, irritability, disorientation, delirium, painful, red eyes, red tongue, sore throat, boils, carbuncles, abscesses.
- Clears heat, drains dampness - for damp-heat in the stomach or intestine, diarrhea or dysenteric disorder, vomiting and/or acid regurgitation due to stomach heat.
- Clears heart fire - irritability, insomnia.
- Clears heat and stops bleeding - nosebleed, blood in the urine, stool, vomiting due to hot blood.
- Topically for red, painful eyes and ulcerations of the tongue and mouth.
Mai Ya Barley Sprout, Malt
- Reduces food stagnation, strengthens stomach (also useful for infants).
- Inhibits lactation - for discontinuing nursing, distended and painful breasts.
- Reduces liver Qi - intercostal or epigastric distention, belching, loss of appetite.
Xian Mao Golden Eye Grass Rhizome
- Tonify kidney, strengthen yang - impotence, urinary incontinence, nocturnal emission, infertility due to cold womb (woman) or cold jing (man).
- Expel cold, eliminate damp - bi with generalized pain, pain and/or weakness in the bones and sinews, lower back and knee pain, cold abdomen.
Che Qian Zi Plantago Seeds
- Promotes urination, clears heat - edema, lin syndromes due to damp-heat, generally in the lower warmer.
- Solidifies the stool - diarrhea with damp-heat or damp-summerheat.
- Clears the eyes - liver and kidney deficiency (dry eyes or cataracts) or heat in the liver channel (red, painful, swollen eyes and sensitive to light).
- Lung heat - expels phlegm, stops cough.
Where Do I Go Next?
Further Exploration - Herbs and Treatments
Theory & Diagnosis
Explore The Fundamentals Of Chinese Medicine, Theory, Systems, Relationships...