Names Of Zhi Mu
How Is Zhi Mu Categorized?
Our Database Has 16 TCM Herbs In The Herbs That Drain Fire Category
How Is Zhi Mu Used Clinically?
Zhi Mu Usages and Indications
- Clears heat, drains fire - high fever, irritability, thirst, and a rapid flooding pulse in patterns of excessive heat in the lungs and/or stomach; cough due to lung heat with thick yellow sputum.
- Nourishes yin, moistens dryness - deficiency of lung and kidney yin, night sweats, steaming bone disorder, irritability, afternoon or low-grade fevers, bleeding gums, five-center heat; also for kidney heat signs - spermatorrhea, nocturnal emission, high sexual desire.
- Generates fluids and clears heat - oral ulcers and inflammation due to yin deficiency, wasting and thirsting disorder.
Cautions and Contraindications
- Avoid in patients with diarrhea from spleen deficiency.
How Is Zhi Mu Prepared?
Dosage and Preparation Notes For Zhi Mu
- Dosage: 6-12g
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Herbal Medicine
- Introduction to Herbal Medicine - TCM, Western, Japanese
- Chinese Herb Da Ji - Thistle - Found To Have Strong Beneficial Effects in Type I Diabetes
- Double Blind Study Finds Dang Gui Wan Effective For Menopausal Symptoms (Hot Flashes, Nightsweats)
- Basic Guidelines For Choosing An Appropriate Herbal Formula
- Scorpions, Centipedes, and Hornets Nests: Chinese Herbal Medicine History
- Understanding How Chai Hu Shu Gan Wan Help With Depression in Epilepsy Patients (Study)
- Parkinson's Disease Yields To Basic Moxibustion Treatment (Study)
- Chinese Herbal Formulas and Self-Help Acupressure for Colds and Flus - Yin Qiao, Gan Mao Ling, ...
- You Gui Wan Herbal Formula May Offer Alternative to Hormone Replacement Therapy After Oophorectomy
- Study Finds Chinese Herbal Formula Yin Chen Hao Tang Protects Liver From Cholestatic Damage
Notes From Our Clinicians For Zhi Mu
Staff Clinical Notes
- Ideal choice where heat has dried the yin fluid.
- The herb may be fried in salt water to enhance the nourishing kidney function.
- Often combined with tonifying/warming herbs when they may be too hot/drying (Huang Qi, Gui Zhi, Zhi Fu Zi, etc.).
- Research has shown this herb to have antibacterial properties.
Formulas Which Generally Contain Zhi Mu
Our database contains 13 TCM Formulas where Zhi Mu is generally used
- Shen Jing Shuai Ruo Wan -Stress Reducing Pill (Calm The Spirit)
- Suan Zao Ren Wan -Sour Jujube Decoction (Calm The Spirit)
- Xiao Feng Wan -Clear Wind Pill (Expel Wind)
- Xin Yi Qing Fei Wan -Magnolia Flower Drink To Clear The Lungs (Release the Exterior)
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about zhi mu? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums
Follow, Join, and Participate
Join Our Email List (3-5 email updates/yr)
All Content Copyright © 1999-2019 Yin Yang House Inc