Names Of Zhi Mu
How Is Zhi Mu Categorized?
Our Database Has 16 TCM Herbs In The Herbs That Drain Fire Category
How Is Zhi Mu Used Clinically?
Zhi Mu Usages and Indications
- Clears heat, drains fire - high fever, irritability, thirst, and a rapid flooding pulse in patterns of excessive heat in the lungs and/or stomach; cough due to lung heat with thick yellow sputum.
- Nourishes yin, moistens dryness - deficiency of lung and kidney yin, night sweats, steaming bone disorder, irritability, afternoon or low-grade fevers, bleeding gums, five-center heat; also for kidney heat signs - spermatorrhea, nocturnal emission, high sexual desire.
- Generates fluids and clears heat - oral ulcers and inflammation due to yin deficiency, wasting and thirsting disorder.
Cautions and Contraindications
- Avoid in patients with diarrhea from spleen deficiency.
How Is Zhi Mu Prepared?
Dosage and Preparation Notes For Zhi Mu
- Dosage: 6-12g
Related Posts From Our Blog
Blog Posts Concerning Herbal Medicine
- Parkinson's Disease Yields To Basic Moxibustion Treatment (Study)
- Leonurine (Chinese Motherwort) May Be Helpful For Stroke Recovery
- Introduction to Herbal Medicine - TCM, Western, Japanese
- Animal Study Shows Promise for TCM Herbal Treatment of Diabetes (Yi Qi Zeng Min Tang)
- Yue Ju Wan Herbal Formula Shows Rapid Antidepressant Effect (Study)
- Treating Low Testosterone with Chinese Medicine (Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture and Moxibustion)
- Study Finds Yin Qiao Helpful and Safe for Children To Drop Fever
- Musical Gongs and Xiao Yao Wan Herbs May Help Liver Qi Stagnation and Spleen Qi Deficiency
- Chinese Herbal Formula Creates Metabolic Changes in Brains of Patients with Alzheimers Disease
- Study Finds Red Yeast Rice Lowers Risk Of Developing Diabetes
Notes From Our Clinicians For Zhi Mu
Staff Clinical Notes
- Ideal choice where heat has dried the yin fluid.
- The herb may be fried in salt water to enhance the nourishing kidney function.
- Often combined with tonifying/warming herbs when they may be too hot/drying (Huang Qi, Gui Zhi, Zhi Fu Zi, etc.).
- Research has shown this herb to have antibacterial properties.
Formulas Which Generally Contain Zhi Mu
Our database contains 14 TCM Formulas where Zhi Mu is generally used
- Shen Jing Shuai Ruo Wan -Stress Reducing Pill (Calm The Spirit)
- Suan Zao Ren Wan -Sour Jujube Decoction (Calm The Spirit)
- Xiao Feng Wan -Clear Wind Pill (Expel Wind)
- Xin Yi Qing Fei Wan -Magnolia Flower Drink To Clear The Lungs (Release the Exterior)
Where Do I Go Next?
Recent Questions From Our Forum...
Have questions about zhi mu? Or want to discuss treatment techniques? You may reach us and our community of practitioners by using our forums