Tam Healing and Tong Ren Therapy Protocols
Tam Healing and Tong Ren Therapy for Depression
The areas and points listed below are those that are commonly found blocked in adults and children with "Depression" and related issues. The system focuses on the scalp and Huatuojiaji points along the spine. You may use acupuncture, massage and/or the tong ren to focus on the following areas for healing. For details about the system consider reading the Tom Tam Healing System textbook. A full list of conditions with treatment points is available in A Lazy Bum's Healing: Tong Ren Therapy Cross Reference - both are available in our book store
With regards to acupuncture treatments within this style, generally these points would be combined with some more traditional points based on their overall diagnosis in Chinese Medicine terms. Generally we combine qi gong, acupuncture and tuina along most of the major points in the neck and spine as appropriate.
Main Points: C2 huatuo (Right), GB 13, SI 16
Secondary Points: Yintang, HT 7, LV 3, T5 huatuo (Left), Yiming
Primary Treatment Points For Depression...
C2 Huatuo Sides of Spine at C2
- C2 innervates the forehead and the frontal lobe. The relationship with the Broca's speech area left side of C2 may be used for speech disorders such as stuttering or post-stroke asphasia.
- Due to the relationship with the frontal lobe used for a range of anxiety and depression related disorders as well as conditions such as OCD, ADD/ADHD, PTSD, and insomnia. Generally the left side is for more insomnia and ocd related symptoms and the right side is for more standard anxiety/depression realm symptoms.
- May also be used for headaches, acne, sinus issues and/or visual issues, usually with other supporting points.
- Used extensively within the Tam Healing System and Tong Ren Therapy. The cervical huatuo points are not needled as often, but used with tuina and/or tonren therapy.
GB 13 Root Spirit
- Regulate Liver/GallBladder, Clear Wind, Calm the Mind.
- Stiff Neck, Headache.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Used to effect the frontal lobe. Used on the (R) side for psychological conditions such as anxiety and depression and on the (L) side for attention related conditions such as ADD/ADHD. Also useful for issues which come from subconscious influences.
SI 16 Celestial Windows
- Both SI 16 & SI 17 are Window of the Sky Points and are useful for throat distention, swelling, goiters, lumps in neck a/or throat, voice issues.
- Ear issues - tinnitus, deafness, pain.
- Local point for neck and/or shoulder problems.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Used to effect the circulation within the vertebral artery and the occipital artery. Useful for occipital headache, alzheimer's, brain tumors, dyslexia, MS, and many brain issues related to circulation. Often used with Tian Dong as a starting point.
- Falls into the category of Window of the Sky points within the Tam Healing system.
Secondary Treatment Points For Depression...
HT 7 Spirit Gate
- Tonify deficiencies of the HT Qi, Blood, Yin and Yang.
- Emotional issues, especially those with related sleep or thinking manifestations - insomnia, muddled thinking.
- Heart and Phlegm fire leading to insomnia, anxiety, mania.
- Physical responses to emotional stimuli - anxiety w/palpitations, nausea w/panic a/or fear.
- Heart palpitations from any etiology as well as irregular heart beat, pounding heart, angina.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Emotional/Psychological issues, w/PC 7 for sweat problems (too much or too little).
LV 3 Great Surge
- Generally, resolves stagnation and tonifies Yin - balancing for all LV pathologies.
- LV Qi Stagnation / LV Yang Rising - headaches, dizziness, canker sores.
- Eye issues - blurred vision, red, swollen, painful eyes.
- Menstrual issues from Deficient Blood, Yin, Qi a/or LV Qi Stagnation - dysmennorrhea, amenorrhea, PMS, breast tenderness.
- Genital issues - pain/swelling, hernia, impotence, semianl emission.
- Stagnation in the middle warmer - subcostal tension, chest/flank pain, swellings in the axillary region.
- Digestive issues from LV attacking ST/SP - nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea w/ undigested food.
- Calming point - anger, irritability, insomnia, anxiety.
- With LI 4, four gates treatment - powerfully effects the flow of Qi and Blood in the body.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Important point to descend energy in the body, generally used after qi gong exercises, energy healing sessions, etc. Helps to avoid qi gong sickness (or running fire) where energy is stuck in the upper part of the head/body and causes issues such as shortness of breath, psychological issues, headache, etc.
T5 Huatuo Sides of Spine at T5
- T5 influences the heart and pericardium systems - in the tam healing system the left side is more for heart issues and the right is more for pericardium issues. A range of psychoemotional issues, depression, anxiety, etc. as well as cardiovascular issues, lower body edema, palpitations, chest pain, etc.
- Used extensively within the Tam Healing System and Tong Ren Therapy. May be needled and used with tuina and/or tonren therapy.
How To Learn More About Tam Healing and Tong Ren Therapy?
Tam Healing Resources
Tong Ren Therapy is a form of energy healing developed by the prominent Boston area acupuncturist and healer, Master Tom Tam. Tong Ren was originally developed to aid in the treatment of cancer, but has been extended to treat a broad range of conditions.
Live video broadcasts and local healing classes are now offered around the world. Our live video class is offered weekly and offers a function for submitting healing requests, others are available at tongrenstation.com. A complete list of classes in your area can be found within this Tong Ren Classes listing.