Tam Healing and Tong Ren Therapy Protocols
Tam Healing and Tong Ren Therapy for Motion Sickness
The areas and points listed below are those that are commonly found blocked in adults and children with "Motion Sickness" and related issues. The system focuses on the scalp and Huatuojiaji points along the spine. You may use acupuncture, massage and/or the tong ren to focus on the following areas for healing. For details about the system consider reading the Tom Tam Healing System textbook. A full list of conditions with treatment points is available in A Lazy Bum's Healing: Tong Ren Therapy Cross Reference - both are available in our book store
With regards to acupuncture treatments within this style, generally these points would be combined with some more traditional points based on their overall diagnosis in Chinese Medicine terms. Generally we combine qi gong, acupuncture and tuina along most of the major points in the neck and spine as appropriate.
Main Points: C1 huatuo, UB 9, SI 17, CV 17, Taiyang
Secondary Points: CV 6, ST 36, LV 3
Primary Treatment Points For Motion Sickness...
C1 Huatuo Sides of Spine at C1
- C1 innervates the top of the head and is an important juncture between the brain and body. Affects the parietal lobe, sensory and motor areas of the brain.
- If patient has predominately left sided problems, then the right side of C1 will be focused on and vice versa.
- A "wind" are in Chinese Medicine may be used for stroke, epilepsy, headache. Can be used as an dizziness or faintness "emergency" balancing point for overstimulation from qigong, acupuncture and/or hypertension.
- Used extensively within the Tam Healing System and Tong Ren Therapy. The cervical huatuo points are not needled as often, but used with tuina and/or tonren therapy.
UB 9 Jade Pillow
- Expels wind-cold - nasal congestion, chills and fever, headaches from wind.
- Occipital headaches and/or neck pain, heavy head.
- Eye pain and/or redness, blurry vision.
- Unbalanced temperature/sweating - cold sensation in head with sweats, or no sweating in heat disease.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Used to effect the cerebellum (muscle coordination, equilibrium). Useful for stroke recovery, ALS, MS, Parkinson's, etc.
SI 17 Celestial Countenance
- Both SI 16 & SI 17 are Window of the Sky Points and are useful for throat distention, swelling, goiters, lumps in neck a/or throat.
- Chest oppression, wheezing, cough, asthma.
- Ear issues - tinnitus, deafness.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Used to effect the circulation to the brain, and the facial nerves. Useful for facial issues such as TMJ, gum problems, etc. Also used with headaches, hearing issues, dizziness and/or high blood pressure.
- Falls into the category of Window of the Sky points within the Tam Healing system.
CV 17 Chest Center
- Main point for tonification of the upper warmer.
- Hui Meeting Point of the Qi - tonify and move the Qi of the body.
- Chronic lung issues - cough, asthma, SOB, diaphragmatic pain.
- Breast issues - insufficient lactation, mastitis.
- Chest/Throat issues (rattling in throat w/asthma, difficulty swallowing, palpitations), counterflow Qi problems - guides the Qi downwards.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Important point for overall Qi (energy) in the body, useful for asthma.
(EX) Taiyang Great Sun
- Temporal, one-sided a/or migraine headaches.
- Eye issues - pain, swelling, redness, photophobia, visual acuity.
- Local point for tootache, facial paralysis, pain, etc.
- Classically mentioned in the Ode of the Jade Dragon for swelling of the breast (bleed bilaterally).
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Headaches, dizziness, eye and/or sinus issues. For migraines use with GB 20 and LI 4.
Secondary Treatment Points For Motion Sickness...
CV 6 Sea of Qi
- Generally, useful for Qi tonification.
- Women's health - hernia, uterine bleeding, irregular menstruation, dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation / cramps), amenorrhea, leukorrhea.
- Men's health - impotence, seminal emission, nighttime urinartion, hernia.
- Deficiencies of the lower and middle warmers - abdominal distention, bloating, edema, poor digestion, loose stools, diarrhea, fatigue.
- Tonify ST/SP Qi Deficiencies.
- Main point for prolapse of any type - rectum, uterus, etc. Lower abdominal and/or genital pain / swelling.
- Stroke, loss of consciousness, weakness of the muscles and body generally.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Main point for building and storing Qi (energy), useful for deficiency conditions - asthma, shortness of breath, general fatigue, etc.
ST 36 Leg Three Li
- Tonify deficient Qi a/or Blood.
- Tonify Wei Qi and Qi overall - low immunity, chronic illness, poor digestion, general weakness, particularly with moxibustion, very important acupuncture point for building and maintaining overall health.
- All issues involving the Stomach a/or the Spleen - abdominal/epigastric pain, borborygmus, bloating, nausea, vomiting, GERD, hiccups, diarrhea, constipation, etc.
- Clear disorders along the course of the channel - breast problems, lower leg pain.
- Earth as the mother of Metal - will support Lung function in cases of asthma, wheezing, dyspnea.
- Psychological/Emotional disorders - PMS, depression, nervousness, insomnia.
LV 3 Great Surge
- Generally, resolves stagnation and tonifies Yin - balancing for all LV pathologies.
- LV Qi Stagnation / LV Yang Rising - headaches, dizziness, canker sores.
- Eye issues - blurred vision, red, swollen, painful eyes.
- Menstrual issues from Deficient Blood, Yin, Qi a/or LV Qi Stagnation - dysmennorrhea, amenorrhea, PMS, breast tenderness.
- Genital issues - pain/swelling, hernia, impotence, semianl emission.
- Stagnation in the middle warmer - subcostal tension, chest/flank pain, swellings in the axillary region.
- Digestive issues from LV attacking ST/SP - nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea w/ undigested food.
- Calming point - anger, irritability, insomnia, anxiety.
- With LI 4, four gates treatment - powerfully effects the flow of Qi and Blood in the body.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Important point to descend energy in the body, generally used after qi gong exercises, energy healing sessions, etc. Helps to avoid qi gong sickness (or running fire) where energy is stuck in the upper part of the head/body and causes issues such as shortness of breath, psychological issues, headache, etc.
How To Learn More About Tam Healing and Tong Ren Therapy?
Tam Healing Resources
Tong Ren Therapy is a form of energy healing developed by the prominent Boston area acupuncturist and healer, Master Tom Tam. Tong Ren was originally developed to aid in the treatment of cancer, but has been extended to treat a broad range of conditions.
Live video broadcasts and local healing classes are now offered around the world. Our live video class is offered weekly and offers a function for submitting healing requests, others are available at tongrenstation.com. A complete list of classes in your area can be found within this Tong Ren Classes listing.